Peanuts???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
Someone gave me a big carton of peanuts, in the husk and all. They're good but...I'm kind of not a peanut-obsessed person and after about a handfull I was basically done with them, LOL.

Can I give them to my rabbits as the occasional treat??? If so, do I have to shell them first or can they gnaw on the husk?

I would shell them. Peanut shells are among the highest risk for toxic mold you can't see. Peanuts themselves are up there too but if you try to avoid everything that could potentially go bad there wouldn't be much left. All grains and all legumes (peanuts are a legume not a nut) have the risk of toxic mold. It's just more common on peanut shells and corn in particular. If they are salted I would feed them out slower. A little salt won't harm rabbits. Many give salt blocks of some kind but with salt blocks they regulate themselves. If there is tasty food with the salt they might eat too much. If they decide to eat them at all.

Back