pasteurella

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heidi125

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just looking for some advise on my meat rabbits, that have come down with pasteurella.
What is the best way to treat it?
Thanks

What I would do...having been through that particular nightmare myself?

It's harsh, but they are meat rabbits, so I hope you understand.
I would cull the sick ones ASAP, sanitize everything. Wait and watch the rest. Cull ones who show symptoms. Cull does who's kits show symptoms. (You might lose every rabbit you own, it's just how awful pasturella is)
Once every sign of disease has been eradicated (for several months) you will want to sterilize everything and start re-building your herd.
It's hard...but it's a really comfortable feeling to have a clean rabbitry with no infectious disease carriers to be wary of, and a really awful feeling to be managing sick, infectious rabbits.

Never sell a sick rabbit or a potential carrier. They can destroy other people herds as well.

There is no cure, only treatment. Pasturellosis can require antibiotics-for-life to remain in remission.
Every diseased rabbit that is culled is potentially saving the lives of many others.

Zass":2yufdv35 said:
What I would do...having been through that particular nightmare myself?

It's harsh, but they are meat rabbits, so I hope you understand.
I would cull the sick ones ASAP, sanitize everything. Wait and watch the rest. Cull ones who show symptoms. Cull does who's kits show symptoms. (You might lose every rabbit you own, it's just how awful pasturella is)
Once every sign of disease has been eradicated (for several months) you will want to sterilize everything and start re-building your herd.
It's hard...but it's a really comfortable feeling to have a clean rabbitry with no infectious disease carriers to be wary of, and a really awful feeling to be managing sick, infectious rabbits.

Never sell a sick rabbit or a potential carrier. They can destroy other people herds as well.

There is no cure, only treatment. Pasturella can require antibiotics-for-life to remain in remission.
It's not something most of us mess around with in our meat herds.

Exactly what Zass said...here is a post I made chronicling our experience with Pasteurella: my-pasteurella-journey-t12109.html
Maybe it will be helpful to you.

I must stress this though, DO NOT let anyone tell you that the BunnyVac vaccine will treat and cure your rabbits. It WON'T. It has NOT been proven (enough for me to trust it) to prevent Pasteurellosis, let alone cure it.

I'm sorry your rabbits are ill. I had what I suspect was Pasteurella run through quite a few of my breeding animals after exposure at a show, and culling them was very hard. I routinely dispatch rabbits for meat, but having the choice of who to kill taken out of my hands made it all the more difficult to do.

I tried to look at the "bright side" in that it removed animals with weaker immune systems from my herd, but most of them were does with litters so were a bit stressed already. It was awful.

Trust me, you don't want this as an ongoing problem. Hard as it will be, I would strongly recommend culling anyone with symptoms. :encourage:

Sometimes white snot indicates disease other than Pasteurella, one of which is Bordetella, which can be treated. You can get a culture done on the mucous to determine the exact cause.

That said, I would not want to treat and save a bunch of infected rabbits because the fact that they became ill with anything at all indicates a weak immune system, and you don't want to perpetuate that. Unless, of course, you don't mind routinely medicating your herd. ;) Most of us raise rabbits for meat in part because it is free of antibiotics, so we cull (kill) anything that shows symptoms.

Zass":1v1p5h2l said:

Pasteurella is actually a very fragile organism, and lives less than 24 hours outside of the host. It spreads by direct contact, so you need to make sure that there is a barrier between cages to prevent one from sneezing and propelling a globule of snot into reach of another rabbit.

I would still steam clean or disinfect the cages with bleach, vinegar, or betadine before using them again. Both vinegar and bleach will harm the wire if left to dry, so make sure to rinse well with water.

Thank you everyone!!!!
I took your advise and dispatched the 3 that were sick, and I am keeping an eye on the others for signs of illness.
I hope my bucks don't get sick, so far they are not showing any signs....

I had a vet advise me to give the rest of the rabbits antibiotics to prevent them from getting sick. Not sure I want to do that.....

I wouldn't. IF you give it, then how do you know if they are resistant to it?

Plus, if they do get it (despite antibiotics) you can't use the rabbit for anything.

Waiting and seeing is the best solution.

Check the healthy ones for matted paws and the like as well.

Unfortunately, many vets do not know much about rabbits, compared to other animals. Unless you know for certain that your vet is rabbit-savvy, you want to take their advice with a grain of salt. Medicating the rabbit with antibiotics may temporarily suppress symptoms - which also gives them time to pass the infection along to other rabbits.

MaggieJ":1ttaaf4c said:
Unfortunately, many vets do not know much about rabbits, compared to other animals. Unless you know for certain that your vet is rabbit-savvy, you want to take their advice with a grain of salt. Medicating the rabbit with antibiotics may temporarily suppress symptoms - which also gives them time to pass the infection along to other rabbits.

Even vets who are rabbit-savvy may assume that the owner is treating the rabbits as pets and therefore is willing to treat them with ABs. Rural/farm-area vets may not assume this, but I assure you that the urban rabbit vets do (at least the couple I've talked to).

The "resistant immune system" theory...if I tried to explain this to my vet (owning only the one rabbit, as I do), he'd look at me as if I'd grown an extra eye or two. Now, he eats rabbit--at least at restaurants--so he's aware of their traditional use, but withholding ABs from a sick pet rabbit would be (in his professional view) like withholding ABs from a sick pet cat or dog.

So, while I'm not necessarily disagreeing with MaggieJ, I am saying "Know your rabbit-savvy vet's philosophy and outlook" and be sure s/he knows yours.

Thjere is no treatment/way to cure Pasteurella!
If you have any illness in any rabbit and you do not cull it,
you place every rabbit in your herd and possible owners of other herd
in jeopardy. The only way to create/ have a healthy herd is:
To breed toward disease resistance. It may seem cruel,
but it works. Any rabbit showing any signs of weakness
is culled.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":38kcqdtw said:
Thjere is no treatment/way to cure Pasteurella!
If you have any illness in any rabbit and you do not cull it,
you place every rabbit in your herd and possible owners of other herd
in jeopardy. The only way to create/ have a healthy herd is:
To breed toward disease resistance. It may seem cruel,
but it works. Any rabbit showing any signs of weakness
is culled.

this is a harsh reality, --and vets who tell you about treatment are not familiar with commercial production, and small profit margins, the antibiotic shots [and the resulting gastric distress] is not a long term solution, and the gentamicin nebulizing treatments, are a pain, and only seem to supress symptoms until a stress brings them out again, and in the time in between symptoms, the "well looking rabbit " infects" the others around them, creating a ticking time bomb,just waiting for a stress perriod -when many in the rabbitry will all show symptoms, and growers are overwhelmed suddenly with a huge problem.

heidi125":1ruq5il9 said:
I took your advise and dispatched the 3 that were sick, and I am keeping an eye on the others for signs of illness.
I hope my bucks don't get sick, so far they are not showing any signs....

I'm sorry you had to do that, Heidi, but hard as it was to do, you did the right thing for the rest of your animals. Being a good caretaker often involves a lot of hard choices.

Did you butcher any of them? It is always a good idea to do a necropsy to validate the choice to cull for illness. You will often see "bruised" or lumpy lungs if they have respiratory problems. There may also be secondary signs of illness in other organs. For instance, they may have signs of cocci in the liver or parasites in the intestines that could be contributing factors that weakened the immune system and made them more susceptible to disease.

If you are new to butchering animals and therefore not familiar with what is normal or abnormal, you are welcome to take photographs and post them in the meat rabbit section with a warning such as "GRAPHIC Photos!" in the title. Our members are always willing to offer their thoughts on the condition of the organs.

heidi125":1ruq5il9 said:
I had a vet advise me to give the rest of the rabbits antibiotics to prevent them from getting sick. Not sure I want to do that.....

That isn't something I would be willing to do either, especially without some diagnostic tests.

Some people do opt for treatment if they have very rare breeds or top winning (and therefore very expensive!) show rabbits. But for your average family meat operation, it is probably better to just buy new stock or work with the healthy animals in your herd.

Good luck with your remaining rabbits! I hope they continue to be in good health. :good-luck:

heidi125":2j3r2sfu said:

If you do decide to give your rabbits antibiotics, [and I would not] also give some bene bac or similar probiotic, as antibiotics play havoc with rabbits GI tract--
--- and-- antibiotics will not prevent infection, as the mucus membranes in the rabbit will not have enough antibiotic concentration to prevent infection, it will just reduce the symptoms and compromise the immune system in the rabbit.

If you use Medications haphazardly, you are helping to create
diseases resistant to that Drug. Of course we all must do what we feel is best,
I just choose to not use feed laced with drugs in an effort to prevent disease.
They never seem to work, and seem to create more problems than they fix.
As always, JMPO.

Well, I ended up dispatching the whole heard, due to pasteurella. There was only 1 buck that was not showing any signs. But I just could not take the chance that he was a carrier.
So, my barn is empty. Thought I was just clean everything and let it sit for a while. <br /><br /> -- Sun May 18, 2014 9:15 am -- <br /><br /> Oh, I forgot to mention... a friend on mine, got rabbits from the same place I did, and they are showing signs of being sick also.
I think I just got sick rabbits from the start... :angry:

heidi125":1un41sjw said:
Well, I ended up dispatching the whole heard, due to pasteurella. There was only 1 buck that was not showing any signs. But I just could not take the chance that he was a carrier.
So, my barn is empty. Thought I was just clean everything and let it sit for a while.

-- Sun May 18, 2014 9:15 am --

Oh, I forgot to mention... a friend on mine, got rabbits from the same place I did, and they are showing signs of being sick also.

That happens a lot, and it is good of you not to do the same to another unsuspecting buyer.
Some "good"breeders have a "good" reputation for a "good" reason, they don't pass things like this on to their buyers. they do like ottersatin and others said, cull all sick, and keep the herd clean.-and-- once the rabbitry is clean keep it that way by keeping other breeders out unless they have on very clean clothes, and quarantine all new stock, even though you bought them from a very good source.

MaggieJ":253ctxej said:

:yeahthat: <br /><br /> -- Mon May 19, 2014 8:15 am -- <br /><br />
heidi125":253ctxej said:
So, my barn is empty. Thought I was just clean everything and let it sit for a while.

-- Sun May 18, 2014 9:15 am --

Oh, I forgot to mention... a friend on mine, got rabbits from the same place I did, and they are showing signs of being sick also.

I am so sorry, hon...:( I had the same thing happen to me when I first started. Don't let this discourage you from raising rabbits, though. Sanitize everything really well, a 1:10 ratio of bleach/water works well. Rinse well, and let the cages and stuff sit in the sun for a couple of days. UV is a great sanitizer. Then, start over....where are you located? Perhaps we can help you to locate someone to get rabbits from that will be healthy. Hang in there... :grouphug:

heidi125":pararo2b said:

That is more than likely. I may be small compensation to know you could have done nothing to prevent it. When I buy rabbits I always do two things. I will enter the rabbitry and wait quietly and listen for about 15 minutes. If i hear even one sneeze, I am out of there. The second thing is to look in as many cages as I can for matting on the inside of the front paws. Any matting and I am also gone.

Thank you everyone for all your support. It was very hard for me to do what I had to do.
I will start again when I can find good healthy rabbits, it is not easy.

Back