over feeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hattie

Reaction score
Im not sure if im feeding to much fresh food to miss Hattie. She weighs about 4 - 4.5lbs, is 1 yr old. Every day she gets 3 - 4 forearm long pieces of romaine lettuce, a small handful of parsley or spinach, a carrot, a little piece of banana. Sometimes I add more veg or greens just depends what I have on hand and whats on sale. At night before bed she gets 1/4C pellets. Always has hay in feeder. By morning everything is eaten and we start again. She is free roaming 12 plus hrs a day. Hubs says im over feeding but shes within the weight range for a mini rex.

:yeahthat:

I consider bananas and carrots treats, and mine get them once or maybe twice a week. Carrot tops, however, are part of my regular feedings, as long as the season lasts.

As far as the other greens, I would say you're fine.

Run your fingers slowly down her spine. As long as you feel gentle, rolling bumps, she's right where she should be. If you can't feel her spine, you're overfeeding her. If it feels spiky, she needs more. :)

Thank you. I guess I never worried about the sugar since she runs around the house most of the day. I will cut them back. Just got back from the store and scored a blend of Asian greens, baby spinach, baby kale. For .50 a pack

Hattie":2mq8wwgu said:
Thank you. I guess I never worried about the sugar since she runs around the house most of the day. I will cut them back. Just got back from the store and scored a blend of Asian greens, baby spinach, baby kale. For .50 a pack

Sugar isn't just a worry for weight. Too much can cause bacterial overgrowth or digestive imbalances that can be very dangerous, even deadly.

If your rabbit is doing well, and pooping solid round cocoa-puff balls, then you don't need to worry too much about it.
Just be careful not to accidentally overfeed on sugary food.

Instead of relying so heavily on purchased fresh foods for your bunny, you might consider the benefits of feeding certain common weeds. These European invasives are the natural food of our domestic rabbits (which are descended from European wild rabbits) and the buns just love them. We have a whole forum on natural feeding, but start with this list of safe greens for rabbits. Hattie will thank you. :)

safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

She gets a handful of weeds from the flower beds & yard a few times a week. The kids absolutely love it. I try to go to the farmers markets as much as I can. Just happen the store had that organic mix on sale for .50 each. I LOVE the discount produce shelf at my store $1.00 bags. We eat so much that it's gone in a day or 2 lol

Most often the case is:
No matter what feed you choose [Pellets or forage]
we tend to overfeed. This is due to our wanting the rabbits to never feel hunger.
We, myself included are ALL guilty of this at least now and then.
I feed a measured amount to each rabbit as an individual.
Some rabbits require more or less per day for proper maintenance.
If there is feed left in the hopper when you go to the next feeding,
give a little bit less. If the hopper is empty, try giving a bit more.
With time you will know what the proper amount is for each individual.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thank you all. She went from a never empty pellet bowl and all those veggies to what we feed now. (She was looking kind of plump) she graze's on the veg and foliage all day then eats the pellets thru the night / morNing. I just wanted to tell hubby I want crazy in how I'm feeding her :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:56 am __________ <br /><br /> Ok now I'm worrying she's not getting enough hay. How often do you fill your hay feeder? I'm filling it maybe once a week. Honestly I don't remember the last time it may have been more then a week :-/

She does her feeder always has hay in it. Im just not sure the last time I refilled it from her emptying it.I have to literally climb in her cave to get it so I should remember having to refill it. I had to buy different hay this timeand don't seem to be going thru it as quickly

Latest posts

Back