Otter colors

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lidtfedtkanin

Reaction score
Ok I have some stupid questions because I am still trying to wrap my head around this. Otters should only be bread to otter or selfs correct? and the optimal situation would be at_ _ CC_ _ EE . What happens if non extension genes ee get tossed in that mix? I want to make sure I understand this gene before I consider adding it to my barn.

Thanks.

I have an otter doe who is

ata Bb Cc Dd Ee enen

1186168_10200982386267410_439476170_n.jpg

The red doe is her mom.

If she were to be bred to a buck that had the non extension gene, she could throw reds and torts. Otter is a pretty safe to breed to just about anything, BUT that doesnt mean you will get more otters!

Now there is a possibility of getting tort otters! A tort otter happens when you have an otter rabbit that gets 2 copies of the Non extension. This color is not accepted in any breed.
Example!
blue-tort-otter-nd-t.jpg

All in all, if you want to breed Otters, I would keep the non extension out. If you are going to breed non extensions, and need to expand to other varieties ( to get in type, fur, or just expand the gene pool) Go for it! It is easier to breed out dominant genes, than to breed out ones that may hide for generations.

Thanks I appreciate the information. I have not had to consider otters in the past and thought I had better get some clarification before I went further in my decision making.

I breed my otters to Chestnuts and selfs. Not sure if that's a good idea in any other breed but Rex. The Chestnut increases the rufus of the otters rufus band. Otter to chin will give you martens, if your breed accepts it. One thing I will never do is breed otter to non extension.

Thanks it doesn't sound as dire as I had made it in my head. I had a bad bout with the steel gene and had to re think my other herd didn't want a replay. My fault no one else's but my own lack of education. I am still learning the genetics side.

Latest posts

Back