Optimal time to sell rabbits(breeding schedule as well)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raetcd

Reaction score
So what are the best times of year to sell rabbits? Specifically Californians.

I know Easter is a good time to have some weanlings ready. What about the start of 4-h clubs and FFA clubs? When do they start and what age rabbits do they usually request?
Any other dates/time suggestions?<br /><br />__________ Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:38 pm __________<br /><br />I'm guessin by the lack of responses that most people don't breed according to the best season/time to sell?

Most of ours have been sold and the rest have been very tastey meals. Just sold 4 more tonight. Down to only 5 left out of 27

raetcd":2bsmyna4 said:
I'm guessin by the lack of responses that most people don't breed according to the best season/time to sell?

I think there is no "best season", unless you are breeding for the "Easter Bunny" market. I googled "traditional holiday meals rabbit" and got very few results- so unlike goat or lamb, rabbit dishes have few ethnic holiday-related dishes.

I just sold my first juniors after a year of breeding, I'll be selling a few more later in October but up here anyway there's no particular season for sales

raetcd":27trh47s said:
So what are the best times of year to sell rabbits?
I'm guessin by the lack of responses that most people don't breed according to the best season/time to sell?

Pretty much I breed to please myself, to feed my dogs and for junior/senior prime for shows. I am just now starting to sell rabbits. Mostly Rexes for meat and Hollands for pets.

Bred my first rabbit, on my own time. For my own pleasure. And regarding Easter, I'm staying clear of that holiday. None of mine will be "Easter" bunnies.

Karen

I have blackouts for major holidays. My policies:

We do not sell “EASTER BUNNIES” or rabbits for any other holiday event. If you wish to purchase from us, you may do so 5 days before or after any major holiday. Rabbits are not novelty items. If you have a problem with that, please take your business elsewhere.

Last spring time/easter, I still had my strict policy and the one time I tried to help a family out because they seemed very genuine about getting a pet for their home they literally said after I waited all day (I didn't have my strict policies yet)..."Well there was just so much traffic...so we turned around and went home" :angry: "Well Ma'm,w ould you like to place a deposit?"
"You see, we really wanted the "Easter bunny" to drop him off..." "So then, would you like to make a deposit?"..."I think next year will be a better time."

I was was pretty upset that she had we sitting all day at home, decided without warning to turn around, and then dropped the sale. Since then, I've become very strict with my policies. Especially when it comes to putting down a deposit.

For those that are no shows, or pull something...their number get stored in my phone with their name and reason things didn't work out or in caps--DON'T SELL

I noticed people that say they want the rabbit ASAP never work out. I put my foot down when they think I'll sell the rabbit earlier than 8 weeks because they beg and plead with me or "they don't want to miss out on the cutest part of their life"

My father, being a business man, called me out on my strict policies and saying that accept that people don't read. Also was wondering why I didn't sell during major holidays now. It is EASY money.

I also have a low tolerance now for those that don't read my website when you have no choice but to when the link to my for sale page is at the bottom of the policies page. I also have on my Contact page a link to rabbitry ettiquite and a section that says that most, if no all questions will be answered if you read my website. ( I've had this one lady come and let her children loose. They were getting into my feed, opening cages,...you get the picture...)

When he called me out for not doing holiday sales...I got so upset with him and explained this is not a BUSINESS. This is a HOBBY. I rather my LIVING animals to not be placed in a home for a week and dumped when their precious little child becomes bored or doesn't want to do work that comes with pet ownership.

During Easter, people with NZW & mutts FLOOD that market with them. Usually selling between 4-6 weeks. If they haven't died, in a few weeks/months you will see people posting all those rabbits on craigslist. I think this year my boyfriend and I are just going to put an add saying we will take them all (brought to us)...just so they can go to reptiles. A useful end for all of these rabbits.

When I was on my regular facebook I saw this one person whose parents had made her an easter basket and left it in her dorm with this little NZW in a tiny cage, a card, and champagne class with Happy Easter on it. Let say, haven't seen a picture posted since of her new bunny. Probably got handed to someone else shortly after the holiday event.

Needless to say,I'm not a fan of major holiday sales of rabbits. :(

I hear many say " no Easter bunnies or x-mass bunnies" but I know as a little girl that I held those animals gifts close to my heart.

A good home is a good home no matter what time of the year.

I am in agreement with the vast majority of posters.
Though I do not breed for Easter or Christmas bunnies,
I do often have bunnies available at that time.
I will sell only to those who are familiar with Rabbits
and have purchased from me in the past. In the early days
I did breed for and sell Easter bunnies and even a Christmas
bunny once. I knew it was going to a good home because
I charged a delivery fee and they had no problem.
Later after learning a hard lesson I STOPPED
breeding Rabbits for holidays.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

tailwagging":1ilnhn1u said:
I hear many say " no Easter bunnies or x-mass bunnies" but I know as a little girl that I held those animals gifts close to my heart.
A good home is a good home no matter what time of the year.
IF, I were ever to get in that situation, the rabbit would be an extra, non refundable amount, paid for a month in advance, and required to pick it up, 2 days ahead of the holiday. If they do not have an friend that would watch the rabbit for a day or so, what would happen if they went out of town. I figure on having a page on my site, for a few, that would like to re-home the rabbit.
- I may change my mind, but it sounds good, for right now. :)

Some times I think people just like to screw with breeders and had no plans to buy.

Personally I like to begin breeding in fall begin having little ones available late winter and sell through spring after April their is no breeding due to heat on the little ones in July. As everyone else has said though I don't sell any pet rabbits only brood stock, meat, and show. This year I do plan to begin changing things a bit though as I am in the works on building a 30x30 building with evaporative coolers installed which should allow me to keep my bucks from going sterile in the heat. That way I can breed year round but it's not for sales reason's It will just help me be able to breed for age classes a little easier for showing.

I'd love to be able to breed longer but with the rabbits outside,my last litters are in August possibly very early September since I'm Beyond Nowhere and get eight months of winter.

Back