Opinions on this cage?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br'er

Reaction score
Sorry to flood the forum with "housing" posts. I just know how important it is to get the right cage/hutch and want to make sure I get it right the first time. That said, does anyone have this cage or have an opinion on this cage for indoor holland lop? I'm thinking of getting the larger 37L x 18W x 21H size and adding some platforms for lounging.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N0 ... PDKIKX0DER

Br'er":3lkqreug said:
Sorry to flood the forum with "housing" posts. I just know how important it is to get the right cage/hutch and want to make sure I get it right the first time. That said, does anyone have this cage or have an opinion on this cage for indoor holland lop? I'm thinking of getting the larger 37L x 18W x 21H size and adding some platforms for lounging.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N0 ... PDKIKX0DER

For the price, I would recommend just getting the Tractor Supply cage, the biggest one you can afford. I really like those grass mats though!! :D

For less than that price, Bug4H is making herself a 42"x28"x28" cage that is 2 levels high, and totally customizable.

What kind of rabbit are we talking about, Br'er? If it is a dwarf breed, it looks adequate and convenient, but if you intend to get a large rabbit, it would be rather small. I like the idea of top opening as well as side opening.

The meat rabbit cages I used to use before I switched to a colony were 36" x 30". The rabbits were 8-10 pounds mostly and that was barely room enough for them. If they can't get exercise, they get fat very easily, especially on pellets. I am assuming the rabbit would have free time outside the cage (under supervision).

MaggieJ":371iya93 said:
What kind of rabbit are we talking about, Br'er? If it is a dwarf breed, it looks adequate and convenient, but if you intend to get a large rabbit, it would be rather small. I like the idea of top opening as well as side opening.

The meat rabbit cages I used to use before I switched to a colony were 36" x 30". The rabbits were 8-10 pounds mostly and that was barely room enough for them. If they can't get exercise, they get fat very easily, especially on pellets. I am assuming the rabbit would have free time outside the cage (under supervision).

We're looking at Holland Lops :) I should probably point out that the cage in the pic is the small cage. We are looking at the large cage, which is 37 x 18 x 21. I think 37 is good, just not sure about the 18. He'd be in the cage at night and when unsupervised but would also have an x pen and can roam in the house when we're home.

I think 37 is good, just not sure about the 18. He'd be in the cage at night and when unsupervised but would also have an x pen and can roam in the house when we're home.

I'd be happier if it were 24-30 inches wide instead of 18, but Holland Lops are small rabbits (show weight 2-4 pounds) so it would be adequate with time out of the cage for exercise. Adding a shelf or two is a good idea.

We have Holland Lops........ You will want pee guards FOR sure!!!!!!!!! You can make them from flashing which can be purchased at Home Depot/Lowes. Make them about 4" high and with a small bit of an L ben so anything that hits them heads back toward the middle of the cage so it goes in the dropping pan.

To attach the flashing to the inside of the cage, get a Phillips screw driver and punch holes along the top edge about every 3" and then use wire to attach to the cages.

I would get the $50 TSC cage 24"x24" with pull out pan.

jimmywalt":1cnzcmew said:
We have Holland Lops........ You will want pee guards FOR sure!!!!!!!!! You can make them from flashing which can be purchased at Home Depot/Lowes. Make them about 4" high and with a small bit of an L ben so anything that hits them heads back toward the middle of the cage so it goes in the dropping pan.

To attach the flashing to the inside of the cage, get a Phillips screw driver and punch holes along the top edge about every 3" and then use wire to attach to the cages.

I would get the $50 TSC cage 24"x24" with pull out pan.

Jimmywait, thanks! It's good to hear from someone who has the breed that we're looking in to. Is this the one? http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/h ... 4-inx24-in

Do the cages not need to be very high? Appreciate the pee guard advice too! What in the world am I getting myself in to? lol Are your hollands litter box trained? Anything else I should be aware of? :D

Back