Opinions... Best Pellets??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
Just curious what pellets you folks feed?

What is the ideal nutritional content for a pellet feed?

I doubt we have many great options around here, I've been feeding Producers Pride from Tractor Supply, but I worry it might be too high in carbs or something and I've been told it's a 'crappy feed' (of course this was from a guy who produces and sells what is supposed to be a 'high quality' pellet feed).

If his feed is really as good as he says it is (Rowe Pellet Feed) http://www.rowenutrition.com/rabbit.htm I'm considering trying to become a dealer. He's sending me a free sample to try it out.

I could only become a dealer if I were to have enough confidence in the feed to make a huge push to find folks (nearby) who are willing to buy the pellets from me, to make the shipping cost worth while.

Thoughts??

I've fed Manna Pro for over a year without problems. From what I've gathered, a feed is only as good as the place it was milled, stored and sold. It's good to check expiration dates because even if a good pellet has sat around too long it will have lost its nutritional value.

We couldn't say what the best pellets are for rabbits, with that said we use what the breeders that we purchased our stock from originally have used for years. The two breeders have been friends raising rabbits for 30+ years one use's Kent Top Show Family and the other Purina Professional Natural Advantage (gray bag) both have champion lines. We have half our stock on each. We have found they seem to eat more of the Kent but we find it powders easier, The bunnies seem to grow just as well on either. We are slowly moving over to the Purina Brand because of the less waste. We only feed pellets (to keep the rabbits system regulated) as instructed by the afore mentioned breeders. I've only heard that the Rowe pellets are good from the dealer in Ohio no personal knowledge. This is only our way of doing things. :)

Phacelia":2lxsbz4o said:
I've fed Manna Pro for over a year without problems. From what I've gathered, a feed is only as good as the place it was milled, stored and sold. It's good to check expiration dates because even if a good pellet has sat around too long it will have lost its nutritional value.

I used mana pro select (16% protein) in my first year of keeping rabbits , never had a problem .... then I started getting batches that smelled very strongly of molasses & had loads of unprocessed corn as well as being overly dusty.
Add to that the stuff was expensive @ ~$21.00 + tax for a 50lb bag ....

I assume they changed millers and as a result the quality control went out the window.

I made a trip to OneAcreFarm to pick up a couple rabbits & we discussed the problem , OAF suggested I try Lone Star feed. I found a supplier in my area & went with their 18% protein mix and haven't looked back , my rabbits are healthier & better looking for it. The kits have put on weight faster with the protein increase ... as has my wallet as I pay $14.50 for a 50lb bag or $14.00 if I buy 10 or more.

There are better options that the major brands out there , you just have to find them.

Ramjet":2b4wdibj said:
OAF suggested I try Lone Star feed. I found a supplier in my area & went with their 18% protein mix and haven't looked back , my rabbits are healthier & better looking for it. The kits have put on weight faster with the protein increase ... as has my wallet as I pay $14.50 for a 50lb bag or $14.00 if I buy 10 or more.

That sounds comparable to the Rowe feed, but the Lone Star sounds like it's higher in Protein.

I would love to know what the 'ideal' nutritional content would be... they seem to be rather high in protein, not sure if high protein can be a bad thing? or if 'the higher the better' is a good way to go?

This is the nutritional analysis on the Rowe feed:

Protein, Minimum ...................... 17.00%
Lysine, Minimum........................ .87%
Methionine, Minimum.................... .27%
Crude Fat, Minimum..................... 2.75%
Crude Fiber, Minimum................... 22.50%
Crude Fiber, Maximum................... 27.50%
Calcium (Ca), Minimum.................. 0.56%
Calcium (Ca), Maximum.................. 1.06%
Phosphorus (P), Minimum................ 0.40%
Salt (NaCl), Minimum................... 0.25%
Salt (NaCl), Maximum................... 0.75%
Vitamin A, Minimum................ 2,500 IU/lb
Vitamin D3, Minimum............... 500 IU/lb
Vitamin E, Minimum................ 40 IU/lb

INGREDIENTS
Forage Products, Roughage Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Plant Protein
Products, Flaxseed, Calcium Montmoreolite, Molasses Products, Soybean Oil, Salt,
Monocalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Lysine, Monosodium
Phosphate, Bypass Methionine, Calcium Propionate, Copper Sulfate, Yucca
Schidigera Extract, Ferrous Sulfate, Organic Selenium Yeast, Zinc Oxide, Manganous
Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate
in Gelatin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Mineral Oil, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin
Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide,
Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product dehydrated, Lactobacillus casei
fermentation product dehydrated, Bifido bacterium thermophilum fermentation
product dehydrated, Enterococcus faecium fermentation product dehydrated, Calcium
Propionate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper
Amino Acid Complex, and Cobalt Glucoheptonate.

Producer's Pride
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 15%,
Crude Fat (min.) 1.8%,
Crude Fiber (min.) 15%,
Crude Fiber (max.) 18.5%,
Calcium (Ca) (min.) .7%,
Calcium (Ca) (max.) 1.2%,
Phosphorus (P) (min.) .4%,
Salt (NaCl) (min.) .25%,
Salt (NaCl) (max.) .75%,
Vitamin A (min.) 3000 IU/lb,
Ruminant meat and bone meal free.

Lone Star (not sure if it's even available around here)
Crude Protein, minimum ............ 18.00%
Crude Fat, minimum .................... 3.00%
Crude Fiber, minimum ................ 14.00%
Crude Fiber, maximum .............. 16.00%
Calcium (Ca), minimum ................ 0.90%
Calcium (Ca), maximum .............. 1.25%
Phosphorus (P), minimum ............ 0.60%
Salt (NaCl), minimum .................... 0.25%
Salt (NaCl), maximum .................. 0.75%
Vitamin A, minimum ............ 2,000 IU/LB

Sounds like these feeds are all comparable in price...

I feed 18% ADM pet pals brand. Runs about $16 for a 50# bag.

My problems with Manno pro were similar to Ramjets, except that I was buying the SHO feed.
I used man.a pro select (16% protein) in my first year of keeping rabbits , never had a problem .... then I started getting batches that smelled very strongly of molasses & had loads of unprocessed corn as well as being overly dusty.

OK, so the molasses smell wasn't all in my head? I remember checking the ingredients to see how high up on this list it was because I could smell it so strongly.

I can say, a year after the switch, I did not realize how much trouble was being caused by the feed until I switched OFF of it

After the switch, Mucoid enteritis completely vanished from my herd.
(The v-lops never got mucoid enteritis to begin with, their digestive issues were more unusual, and I doubt any feed would have help them.)

I kind of hate the Purina corporation, but the local "Purina complete" available to me is more consistent than the manna pro SHO feed.

DBA":8iya9dpn said:
I feed 18% ADM pet pals brand. Runs about $16 for a 50# bag.

That looks good but I would have to pay $25/shipping for a #50lb bag... :p
That would be fine if I were able to order several bags for the same shipping price and resell...

Yikes! Guess I'm lucky, that's what my local feed mill carries.

We feed Petrus 780 but I think it is only available regionally. It is produced in Louisiana and I have to pick it up when I go to the Dallas area (5+ hour drive) because it isn't available in West Texas where we live, and even then I drive an hour one way from my parents' house to pick it up. It is worth it though; it has made a huge difference in our animals! The only thing we really have available locally is Purina and Manna Pro. Every top breeder I have talked to in their distribution area feeds Petrus, so that tells me something about the quality! Plus the people at the company are just awesome! Petrus provided a great spread of catfish, fried alligator, jambalya and more for our State show this past weekend!

Syberchick70":1iwn93zl said:

Wow, yeah, it is interesting.

It has the Purina complete I feed listed as being a bit low on fiber
I've been feeding grass hay for fiber to all my rabbits
A bit too high in protein
that is too high for a non-breeding pet rabbits, not breeding meat rabbits.
A little low in fat
I supplement boss, especially to lactating does
And low in calcium
possibly balanced out by the alfalfa cubes and high calcium forage plants I also give
With forage and treats probably filling in most vitamin gaps.

It seems like I've already been compensating for nutritional gaps in the feed.

Zass":3429jy4w said:
Syberchick70":3429jy4w said:

Wow, yeah, it is interesting.

It has the Purina complete I feed listed as being a bit low on fiber
I've been feeding grass hay for fiber to all my rabbits
A bit too high in protein
that is too high for a non-breeding pet rabbits, not breeding meat rabbits.
A little low in fat
I supplement boss, especially to lactating does
And low in calcium
possibly balanced out by the alfalfa cubes and high calcium forage plants I also give
With forage and treats probably filling in most vitamin gaps.

It seems like I've already been compensating for nutritional gaps in the feed.

Right, I would think those of you who have been successfully raising rabbits a while have figured out your strategy for healthy, balanced rabbit feed. :) I'm not so educated about their specific dietary needs, so I'm trying to find the best pellets I can.

What should a person look for in protein, fat and calcium?

That link has their recommended amounts for those on a chart near the top of the page.
(It's pretty obvious that it's for pets, not brood stock.)
I didn't see any sources or studies listed...

I wouldn't go under 16% protein for brood stock.

Zass":2j45jixb said:
That link has their recommended amounts for those on a chart near the top of the page.
(It's pretty obvious that it's for pets, not brood stock.)
I didn't see any sources or studies listed...

I wouldn't go under 16% protein for brood stock.

Ah thanks! I only saw the recommendation for fiber... :p

Guess I need to read my own link more closely. ;)

Phacelia":1hfa0eio said:

Thats it in a "nutshell"
--most feed problems [from good brands] come from screw-ups at the manufacturing point , such as including moldy products, or out of date products, -- since hay and grain do not have "out of date" stickers on them, it is up to the individual plant manager, and staff to have good quality control, -- but- here is the rub... cheaper ingredients equal greater profit for the manufacturer , so there is always pressure to find the best deals on hay , soybean meal , and grain [or what ever the protein source is]- often the cheap products have problems, so- judgement calls are frequent, and often made based on preventing loss.
Rabbits are the most sensitive to mold, then horses, then cows, chickens, then sheep, so-- they add moldy ingredients to these feeds based , profit, and on their understanding of these things.
A plant that produces only rabbit feed, will have to buy premium feed ingredients only and sustain a loss for damaged / moldy feed, so less profit margin, or higher feed cost will result.
The buyer of the feed [if raising for profit] is also concerned about feed cost, and tends to buy the cheaper feed-- so -it is easy to see where these things are/ or can become self defeating. so - just be as careful as you can to get a product from a reputable and "trouble free" manufacturing plant. [I prefer western plants, as western manufacturing plants have better access to products not stored in humid conditions]

The best Pelleted feed is not necessarily the most costly feed
nor the least expensive. It IS the feed that your Rabbits are eating
and doing well on. Producing and growing to the best of your requirements
and showing improvement as they grow. So long as YOU are satisfied
with the achievements of your Herd, your feed choice IS the BEST!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I use the Lonestar 18%. It is only 13.99 a bag here. I have had a lot of folks recommend the Petrus feed but it is a 70 mile.drive to their facility in Alexandria. It is only 20 miles to the Lone Star dealer.

Back