OOPS

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lereg15

Reaction score
So, I bought 4 does from a colony about 2 weeks ago and was keeping them in a 2x4 cage, all together. I decided yesterday that I should get the materials to make them all separate cages. It comes to be that it was just in time, because one of my does are starting to get aggressive with the others now.

Well I had the idea that I would make the frame for the cages a little taller, so I can have more room for my dropping pans. Also, I decided to use metal pipe to install the cages instead of the chains, for stability. Sounds good so far, right? Well, the bottom of the top cages is about 5'6' high, and now I need a milk crate to be able to get the bunnies in and out of them. I'm not sure if I will just leave them higher like that or if I'll end up dropping them down about 6" for easier access.

I still have the bottom cages to make today, but besides the height of the top cages, I'm pretty satisfied with the way it's coming along!! Once I get everything built and straightened up, I'll take some pics.

lereg15":t0m951cg said:
Well I had the idea that I would make the frame for the cages a little taller, so I can have more room for my dropping pans. Well, the bottom of the top cages is about 5'6' high, and now I need a milk crate to be able to get the bunnies in and out of them.

Yeah- I have the same problem in my bunny barn. Most of the time it is okay, but if the rabbits go to the back of the 30" deep cage I need to stand on something to get them out.

I'm not sure what I was thinking, if anything at all when I did it. I'll try it for a while and see how it works out. I just wanted a steeper slant for my poop 'boards'.

PSFAngoras":xmelpgwu said:
I'd have some serious problems if the bottom of my top cages was at 5'6", I'm only 5'3"!!! :p

Me too! Mine are nowhere near that high. I am only 5'4". My friend has some 3 high stackers, as do a lot of people, so if you are willing to sacrifice convenience, you can have a lot more bunnies.

MamaSheepdog":20ne3ryv said:
PSFAngoras":20ne3ryv said:
I'd have some serious problems if the bottom of my top cages was at 5'6", I'm only 5'3"!!! :p

Me too! Mine are nowhere near that high. I am only 5'4". My friend has some 3 high stackers, as do a lot of people, so if you are willing to sacrifice convenience, you can have a lot more bunnies.
I'm 5'. Okay, 5' 3/4". Not that the 3/4" makes much difference. :?

Miss M":115t4x24 said:

Huh. :? How do you manage to wield "the chair" :chair: with such dexterity?

:thinking: Stilts? :p

MamaSheepdog":4nk5d8pj said:
Miss M":4nk5d8pj said:

:thinking: Stilts? :p
Talent. Which is obviously not needed in taller people. :wr_dance8:

MamaSheepdog":yi391ful said:

snippy are we.gif

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Well, I'm 6' and it's still a pretty good stretch to reach the back of the cages. I'll still need a milk crate or something to get the buns out. I do like the slant I can get for the shoots though!!

I am a bit taller than most of y'all, but...I'm old. Just the idea of stacked cages and having to bend over makes my back hurt. When we built our cages, my wonderful hubby was kind enough to start the frame and let me stand next to it to get it the perfect working height. No bending, no tippy toe reaching. Of course, it does limit the number of rabbits we can keep, but if it comes to that, I would rather build another carport than have to stack cages and bend over. :)

Marinea":1baj65ch said:
Of course, it does limit the number of rabbits we can keep, but if it comes to that, I would rather build another carport than have to stack cages and bend over. :)

My dream setup is just one level of cages- no dropping boards or pans!- just rake up the waste. But I know that even if we had more linear space, I would STILL think "I could have twice as many holes if I added another tier!"

Marinea":3qa74oq4 said:
I am a bit taller than most of y'all, but...I'm old. Just the idea of stacked cages and having to bend over makes my back hurt. When we built our cages, my wonderful hubby was kind enough to start the frame and let me stand next to it to get it the perfect working height. No bending, no tippy toe reaching. Of course, it does limit the number of rabbits we can keep, but if it comes to that, I would rather build another carport than have to stack cages and bend over. :)
I've been thinking about my situation, and remembered I have a painters plank that I can use on top of a couple of milk crates!! That way I could reach the top cages and sit on the plank for the bottom ones, so I won't have to bend as much. I may eventually change my first set up into what I just built, because that bending down to get to the bottom cages is getting to me!!

I need to find another slant board for the bottom cages before I can do much else though. I plan on just taking the one from the 2x4 cage that my does were in and use it for now, but I' do not like the set up for it much. I have a piece of lattice, held up by pavers, a 2 1/2 gallon bucket, and an old propane tank, with an old shower curtain to funnel the debris. Problem is that the shower curtain doesn't really stay in the place I want it to. I'll have to come up with some more 'redneck ingenuity' to get it right, :D

the reluctant farmer":22kb4no2 said:
lereg15":22kb4no2 said:
Marinea":22kb4no2 said:
. I'll have to come up with some more 'redneck ingenuity' to get it right, :D
Duck tape. :lol:

LOL. I tried some duct tape from Harbor Freight, but it's not working to well. I may have to add a 2x4 to the side and screw it to keep it where it should be. :)

"Make a frame for the shower curtain out of 1 bys and screw it in place.", says my hubby. Added benefit of keeping it taut. If you can't frame the whole thing, sandwich a section in boards and screw that down on each side. If no 1 bys available, you can do the same thing with some saplings, branches removed of course, just roll a bit of the curtain around the saplings, and screw them down.

*just the typist on this one*

2x2's are cheap. so I could probably get a couple of them and angle them!! I didn't even think of that!! Thank you, Marinea's hubby!!

Galadriel":uywlo9eo said:
MamaSheepdog":uywlo9eo said:

snippy are we.gif

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

MamaSheepdog":uywlo9eo said:
Marinea":uywlo9eo said:
Of course, it does limit the number of rabbits we can keep, but if it comes to that, I would rather build another carport than have to stack cages and bend over. :)

My dream setup is just one level of cages- no dropping boards or pans!- just rake up the waste. But I know that even if we had more linear space, I would STILL think "I could have twice as many holes if I added another tier!"

:eek: :eek: :eek:

It boggles the mind!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps MSD is becoming a slacker, HMMMMMM????

She makes a WHHHHOOOOOOLLLLLEEEE post without even mentioning your jab at her!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

PREPARED.jpg

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

alforddm":1rzbkffb said:
Gorilla tape is awesome stuff! I recently tried some TRex tape. It seems pretty good also.
I saw this and thought it said you used gorilla tape on some tan rexes. :p :x :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back