Oops- inside out cage.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Let's say someone you know was building cages and maybe wasn't paying real good attention and kinda built it inside-out... Ah and that person needs to remove a good number of jclips any good (doesn't make a person cuss like a sailor) way to get that done... Or am I going to be cramming a screwdriver in 20 + clips while hitting myself in the head with a rolled up newspaper.... Not that I'd build a cage inside-out :oops:

Pair of needle nosed pliers in one hand and a pair of side cuts in the other. I had to remove about 40 j clips the other day while repairing an old cage, took about 8-10 minutes.

Well, I would let someone know that the amount of trouble someone is in for is directly related to the quality of J-clips someone used. If someone used cheap J-clips, this should be an inconvenient but relatively painless matter.

refurbishing-the-rabbitry-and-why-not-to-use-bass-j-clips-t6301.html

Of course, those J-clips were a year and a half old, but the technique might be helpful. :)

If someone used good J-clips, someone would be doing the screwdriver or awl or ice pick thing. And yeah, probably the rolled-up newspaper thing. :p

If someone used REALLY good J-clips, well... someone might be waiting on the mail to bring someone a proper J-clip removal tool. :?

Um... how would this speculative cage be inside-out?

Well it looks like I may be in luck - as these are the not quite good j clips ;). The builder attached the sides to the bottom and instead of folding them 'up' they were folded 'down' so the door is backwards and the floor is upside down...

Well, you have it easy. Last summer I made a very long pen for my rabbits to run and graze in. I now need to kae it apart. The pen is ten feet long_ I put a J clip every 1 1/2 inch for strength and security. My arthritic hands will be yelling at me.....

if the bottom is held on by a bunch of J clips, and the rest of the cage just a few, - then-take the sides apart at the corners, take off the roof , fold the sides down and around, and then put the corners together, and top back on. now the floor is right side up...

If the floor is just 1/2 by 1 wire, which is what I use, how can it be upside down or rightside up?

Wheels":3iv63yhv said:
Well it looks like I may be in luck - as these are the not quite good j clips ;). The builder attached the sides to the bottom and instead of folding them 'up' they were folded 'down' so the door is backwards and the floor is upside down...
Oh, okay, I get it! :lol:

Frosted Rabbits":3iv63yhv said:
Well, you have it easy. Last summer I made a very long pen for my rabbits to run and graze in. I now need to kae it apart. The pen is ten feet long_ I put a J clip every 1 1/2 inch for strength and security. My arthritic hands will be yelling at me.....
Maybe you can blackberry pie someone into doing it? :cool:

michaels4gardens":3iv63yhv said:
if the bottom is held on by a bunch of J clips, and the rest of the cage just a few, - then-take the sides apart at the corners, take off the roof , fold the sides down and around, and then put the corners together, and top back on. now the floor is right side up...
And the door isn't backwards. Can't argue with brilliance! :explanation:

DBA":3iv63yhv said:
If the floor is just 1/2 by 1 wire, which is what I use, how can it be upside down or rightside up?
Rightside up for 1/2 x 1 floor wire is with the 1/2 side up. :) It's supposed to be easier on the feet that way, because the wires are closer together. Spreads the load, so to speak.

I did just take the corners off ( with an old Phillips screwdriver and a hammer- folded it right and re attached the corners and roof. Took all of 10-15 minutes :lol: . Also the floor had a spreader attached so it was pretty obvious which was was up! I just didn't realize it until I went to put a door hanger in it and saw that the latch was on the inside of the cage!

One of the reasons I started using C rings as opposed to J-clips was the PITA it was to remove the J-clips if needed. With the C-rings all that's needed is a pair of side cutters or tile nips. The tile nips are a little heavier and require less exertion to cut the ring.

Miss M":2kg97dma said:
Frosted Rabbits":2kg97dma said:
When do I start? :dinner:
I'm thinking a couple weeks unless I can hitch a ride. :walk:

Wheels":2hkffm1r said:
I did just take the corners off ( with an old Phillips screwdriver and a hammer- folded it right and re attached the corners and roof. Took all of 10-15 minutes :lol: . Also the floor had a spreader attached so it was pretty obvious which was was up! I just didn't realize it until I went to put a door hanger in it and saw that the latch was on the inside of the cage!
How sweet of you to fix your poor friend's cage! :p :tomato: :lol:

I'm glad it didn't end up being too bad. :)

Homer":2hkffm1r said:
Miss M":2hkffm1r said:
Frosted Rabbits":2hkffm1r said:
When do I start? :dinner:
I'm thinking a couple weeks unless I can hitch a ride. :walk:
:lol:

I use needle nose pliers and grab the raised edge of the jclip with the plier teeth and pull and wiggle, which loosens it enough to get the nose of the pliers in, and pull it all the way off.

Latest posts

Back