NZ broken blacks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Tom

Reaction score
I've been looking at some broken black NZs lately and I'm wondering what the do's and don't are for them when it comes to patterns or eye colors as far as showing would be concerned. I've been searching for what would DQ them but am not having much luck. Any help or being pointed in the correct direction would be appreciated.

Not sure for NZ, but for brokens in general the eye color would be the same as the solid of that color would be (a broken black should have brown eyes, a broken blue should have blue-grey, ect). Should have more than 10% color. A butterfly, colored ears and over the eyes.. for the body, it's preferred that the pattern be even and without a whole lot of stray white hairs. As for what would DQ, too little color or too much color is what brokens are normally put off the table for... but again, not sure with NZ.

Brokens are to have both ears colored, with color around the eyes, and on the nose. (No preference given for a full butterfly over an evenly balanced nose marking.) The body pattern may be spotted, with individual colored spots or patches over the back, sides, and hips: or a blanket pattern with color starting at or near the neck, and continuing over the back, sides, and hips. The preference is for an evenly balanced pattern.

Faults – Unbalanced nose marking; excessive white in the ears; unbalanced body markings; uneven color. Color, in the judge’s opinion, which is more than 50 percent.

Disqualifications from Competition – Absence of color on the nose (Note: Color appearing in any area where a butterfly would normally occur satisfies the requirement for a nose marking), around the eye(s), on the ear(s), or on the body. Eye color other than called for. Excessive scattered white hairs in the colored section. Foreign colored spots. Color, in the judge’s opinion, which is less than 10 percent. No disqualification for a white spot in a colored section.

also found this one
http://campbellsrabbitry.weebly.com/new-zealand-standard.html

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks cudaman68!! So if a black NZ is to have brown eyes then a broken black NZ should also have brown eyes. Am I getting this right?

Back