Now the adults are dying

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysthelimit

Reaction score
I thought I was in the clear, weanlings haven't died in a while, there's only a few left.
Then...
First the JW, after being bred, seemed like she got mastitis. Weird thing was she would start shaking like she was having a seizure.
SF doe sneezed so much she blew a quarter sized chunk of snot across to another cage.

REW angora doe isn't eating, and when I turned her over, she stiffened. This doe is wild and active, but she basically flopped on the ground when I pulled her out the cage. I don't even know what that is, but she's losing weight and is having a hard time moving around.

There is nothing to say.

Thats just sucks, I'm so sorry that you having a terrible time. Does sound like you have multiple problems, my rabbits with ERE never blew snot, so your dealing with pasteurella, possibly bordetella, and a gut problem on top of it. If you can do cultures I would, bordetella can create carriers. Sorry again, have been there with rabbits dying and not knowing why, its a horrible feeling.

Honorine":v2p7slg7 said:
Thats just sucks, I'm so sorry that you having a terrible time. Does sound like you have multiple problems, my rabbits with ERE never blew snot, so your dealing with pasteurella, possibly bordetella, and a gut problem on top of it. If you can do cultures I would, bordetella can create carriers. Sorry again, have been there with rabbits dying and not knowing why, its a horrible feeling.

does sound like it. I was wondering if Pasteurella could cause ME or ERE, though the kits that died never blew snot either. Or since I read somewhere that staph or streph, can remember which one, can cause mastitis, maybe it's a staph/streph infection? I don't know, but the buns have been dosed with Cocci drugs, Duramin, Pen, Neomycin scours meds.

I'm really sorry. Makes it so hard when you don't know what because then you don't know how to treat effectively.

Dr Glass shared a study from one of the Universitys which did a study on how long certain antibiotics stay in a rabbits body and are at an effective level. The ones they studied were actually only effective for 8 hrs. So, the thinking is that if you are dosing a rabbit, once a day isn't enough to wipe anything out. It needs to be every 8 hrs. I can't remember any of the specifics on it.

I am running out the door in a minute or I'd find and link to it. I will try later to get back on and find it. I thought it was interesting.

I hope you figure it out and the rest of the buns are ok. Sending you good thoughts.

(hug)

So sorry, Sky. I can't imagine how frustrating it is for you, doing all that you can, and still having issues.

*hopes it turns around...like NOW*

I'm so sorry, sky. I was really hoping you were in the clear after the kit issues.

IMO, think horses not zebras. It's highly improbable that you have this many disparate bacteria cropping up at once. You probably have a virus weakening everyone's immune system. That's what the neuro issues make me think, at least. How many do you have left?

Oh no!!! :cry:

I wish we could figure out what in the world is going on.

skysthelimit":30uixofg said:
First the JW, after being bred, seemed like she got mastitis. Weird thing was she would start shaking like she was having a seizure.

The only thing I can think here is pre-eclampsia... if she for some reason was stimulated to lactate, she may be calcium deficient. One of the symptoms is tremors/seizures, and seeming paralysis.

I bought a bottle of calcium supplement in gel caps at the dollar store in case I need to force feed somebunny calcium. I think the absorption is probably faster with liquid as well.

SF doe sneezed so much she blew a quarter sized chunk of snot across to another cage.

Did you happen to take a good look at it? Maybe it was build up around a foreign body? :clover:

REW angora doe isn't eating, and when I turned her over, she stiffened. This doe is wild and active, but she basically flopped on the ground when I pulled her out the cage. I don't even know what that is, but she's losing weight and is having a hard time moving around.

Wool block, perhaps?

I would give her mineral oil by mouth and you may also want to do it rectally. When horses are dosed, they get GALLONS, so you can probably give her quite a bit. I would start with 3cc orally, then repeat in 30 minutes or so. I would probably be more conservative rectally- 2cc's, maybe?

RJS has a point, "horses not zebras"... IF these are infections issues, somehow, there's got to be a common thread.

MSD also has an excellent point... they could all be non-infectious, completely unrelated, mechanical or mineral issues.

Very sorry to hear about your rabbits. I can't even begin to guess on the JW, but it does sound like your angora has a massive case of wool block. When this happens to mine, they get 3cc of cat hairball remedy (Petrolatum) 2x daily until the blockage passes. I have been able to pull them back from it, but I've also lost two to it that I didn't catch soon enough. Hope things pick up

MamaSheepdog":36bfrjvc said:
Oh no!!! :cry:

I wish we could figure out what in the world is going on.

skysthelimit":36bfrjvc said:

The only thing I can think here is pre-eclampsia... if she for some reason was stimulated to lactate, she may be calcium deficient. One of the symptoms is tremors/seizures, and seeming paralysis.

Thinking along the same lines, except is was only a day or so after being bred.

Did you happen to take a good look at it? Maybe it was build up around a foreign body?
Yes. Chunky snot. I separated her from her kits three weeks ago, because she was sneezing violently with lots of snot. Still, every bun who sneezes stops after I put them outside. Reaction to the fly spray? Kits never sneezed, but they are all dead.

Wool block, perhaps?
She had a litter 7 weeks ago, and she's naked as a bluejay. She also started blowing snot, and I took her from the kits, culled 4 snotty kits and put her in QT, and she was fine till two days ago.

Flystrike maybe?

__________ Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:54 pm __________

Miss M":36bfrjvc said:
RJS has a point, "horses not zebras"... IF these are infections issues, somehow, there's got to be a common thread.

MSD also has an excellent point... they could all be non-infectious, completely unrelated, mechanical or mineral issues.

Because they are different breeds, in different places it makes me believe infectious. The other breeds should have not been affected if it was ME in a particular line. The growout pen should not have been affected if it was toxic barn. If it was Cocci, in the drinking water twice a day should have done it. I make up 1 batch of 5 gallon, and that's enough water for the whole day.
Then I wonder, why did the JW kits recover? I have not done anything differently than the others.

And the scary part, this could all be weather related, and I am about to cull off a couple hundred dollars of adults I can afford to replace right now. Or perhaps I should have culled them at the first sign, and saved my barn. I can't help second guessing.
The last SF kit and two angoras were fine until I started dosing them with Corrid.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:02 pm __________<br /><br />What I did not do, I can't believe myself, is necropsy on the kits.

when I came home last night, Louet, the REW Angora, was eating. This morning she looked like she was dead. I put some fresh lemon balm in her cage, she jumped up and started eating. Took a little trip this morning, and she was on her side again, but I put some leaves in the cage and she jumped up. I'm going to syring some fluids into her today.

skysthelimit":wwy90ygy said:
Because they are different breeds, in different places it makes me believe infectious.
That would make me think virus more.

The last SF kit and two angoras were fine until I started dosing them with Corrid.
So what does Corid (amprolium) do to a system that it could set off something in the rabbits?<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:57 am __________<br /><br />Just tossing out ideas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polioencephalomalacia
There's research inducing it using amprolium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrombocytopenia
Is also noted to be induced by amprolium.

You also said before Cocci drugs, Duramin, Pen, Neomycin scours meds. What's Duramin?

RJSchaefer":2ibqcz2n said:
I'm so sorry, sky. I was really hoping you were in the clear after the kit issues.

IMO, think horses not zebras. It's highly improbable that you have this many disparate bacteria cropping up at once. You probably have a virus weakening everyone's immune system. That's what the neuro issues make me think, at least. How many do you have left?

I have seven Rex kits, no affected adults 14 total, 2 adult Silver Fox, 2 Angora kits, 3 adults including the sick one, and too many woolies with babies to count.

There is still a lot of rabbits here, I don't think I will lose the whole rabbitry, but I have lost Silver Fox, for lack of does, and the Angoras for the same reason.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:17 pm __________<br /><br />
RJSchaefer":2ibqcz2n said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrombocytopenia
Is also noted to be induced by amprolium.

You also said before Cocci drugs, Duramin, Pen, Neomycin scours meds. What's Duramin?
Tetracycline

I have no words sky, just wanted to say I am so very sorry you are going through this. :( I cannot imagine your frustration. So sorry!

Louet is gone.

Just Rex and JW now. I weaned another group of Rex today. Let's see what happens. JW are due to be weaned as well.

Back