Newbie Q: when to check on kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoannaCW

Reaction score
I'm expecting my first 2 litters of kits next week (if the does are really pregnant...we'll see.) I have read in some places that it's important to check on very young kits in the nest box and remove sick or dead kits, in others that it's important not to disturb the doe too soon after kindling lest she should become upset and eat her kits. I'm not sure how to put these together. Leave her and them alone for the first day or two or three or...and then start checking?

I'm also not sure how to tell when she's given birth if I'm not poking around in the nest box, unless I actually happen to be there when she pops the kits out...

FWIW, these does have both kindled before--it's my first time but not theirs.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Sorry I've been posting so many questions...I did try to research things ahead of time but now notice how many gaps there are in my understanding.

I just had my first two litters, one a week ago and one today. I read the same confusing things! One thing that I figured is that I had spent enough time with my does to know them and I would stick my hand in the nest box every day after day 28 so the doe was used to me doing it and wouldn't be as concerned once the kits were in there. Both of mine I gave them about 12 hrs after having the kits before pullig the nest boxes out and counting and checking on the litter. In fact I get off work in 10 min and the first thing I get to do when I get home is count the litter that was born sometime this morning! :D

So if you know that either of your does is particularly nervous or if you notice that she seems real concerned with you around after the kits are born. It doesn't hurt to give them a day or two to settle.

Does very rarely eat their kits. Nearly always there is something wrong with the kit or it was already dead. They may abandon their kits if they get too stressed but just a human checking the box shouldn't do that. I would cull out does that get stressed that easily. Just distract them with fresh food or a treat and slip the box out if they are a little nervous. I check kits within hours of them being born and every day after that without any issues. Some of my does have been slightly protective and needed blocked with a feed scoop or something while I checked. That's why some people remove the box while the doe is distracted so you aren't digging in it in front of them. None ever failed to care for the kits. The ones who were most upset with me were actually the best mothers because they cared about their kits so much.

I wondered how I would know there are kits in the nest too, until we just saw our first nest this morning! I posted pictures in the kindling section - if you look, you can see that the doe created a little hollow, and once the kits are born she will then cover them up. The does have been filling their nest boxes with hay every day this week :p and the last couple days we were gingerly feeling around in there, so now I'm glad to see that it will be pretty obvious!

It seems like the majority of what I've read is that when a doe eats her kits it's usually because something scared her, she's not getting enough to eat and feels she can't care for them, or something is wrong (in her mind). Also, sometimes people say the doe might just get overzealous with cleaning her kits and end up, um... chewing off parts of them!

So from what I've figured out with all the reading I've done, if a doe knows you and is familiar with your scent, she's not going to eat her kits because you touched them. My understanding is that within a day of kindling you should provide a clean nest box (or clean out the existing nest if it's not that bad) and remove any dead kits. A doe might also eat a dead kit to keep it from rotting and/or attracting predators.

That said - you're sure to get answers on here from people who think you should leave the kits alone for the first few days, or even the first week. So in the end, as with many things with rabbits, we all just have to decide for ourselves what makes the most sense and follow our instincts! Good luck, I hope you have two easy and healthy litters!

JoannaCW":19rrykdt said:
I'm also not sure how to tell when she's given birth

Most does pull fur before or right after kindling, and you will see the fur in the nest moving.

JoannaCW":19rrykdt said:
I have read in some places that it's important to check on very young kits in the nest box and remove sick or dead kits, in others that it's important not to disturb the doe too soon after kindling lest she should become upset and eat her kits.

I check mine right after the doe kindles- often just moments after she hops out of the box.

Most does don't mind, but for those that do, distracting them with a treat works great, especially with first time moms or does who aren't used to it. It makes them associate you checking the nest with yummy treats. :)

I feel it is important to check right away for several reasons. You need to remove any dead kits, uneaten placentas, and wet or bloody bedding. I add a handful of pelleted pine bedding at this time to absorb urine from the kits to keep the nest dry as they get bigger and start peeing in larger quantities.

If the birth was particularly bloody or the doe just didn't clean the kits well, they may be covered in blood or fluids. As that dries, hay and bedding will stick to the kits, so I like to clean them up. I rinse them off with warm water, pat dry, and place in a warm towel to finish drying while I bathe their littermates. Once everyone is clean and dry, back out they go! :)

If you have a skittish doe, now is the time to give her extra petting and attention. During birth and nursing, mammals release prolactin, a hormone nicknamed "the feel good hormone" because it causes a feeling of loving euphoria which helps the mother bond with her young. If you pet her for several minutes a day she will relate that feeling with you, and the effects will last even after she is no longer producing the hormone.

Good luck with your litters! :good-luck:

You didn't ask for this, but I think it's a good reminder: if you should find a cold, "dead" kit on the wire or in a corner of the box, make sure first before getting rid of them. Put them on a warm water bottle, pop them in your bra cleavage while doing chores, (if you have either a bra or cleavage), fill a ziplock with warm water, put a paper towel on it and lay them on top. Others say it better than I do, but a kit ain't good & dead until it's warm and dead. ;)

Fingers crossed for kits for you!!!

What everyone says is correct. Rabbits eating babies from handling is mostly a myth. Any rabbit that skittish simply shouldn't be bred.
Few rabbits are threatened by the smell of their people, because they are surounded by those smells on a daily basis. Usually associated with something positive, like food, or a full water bottle or crock.

My experience is different than akane's though, my most docile does are also my best mothers.

I check my babies as soon as I can after they are born, and then daily. If a doe seems stressed by me I remove the nestbox and poke around where she cannot see me.

I check on the babies as soon as I first find them, unless momma is still kindling that is. I then check on them a couple times a day while I give the mom a head and ear scratching. Works out great with the skittish ones I have right now.

You didn't ask for this, but I think it's a good reminder: if you should find a cold, "dead" kit on the wire or in a corner of the box, make sure first before getting rid of them. Put them on a warm water bottle, pop them in your bra cleavage while doing chores, (if you have either a bra or cleavage), fill a ziplock with warm water, put a paper towel on it and lay them on top. Others say it better than I do, but a kit ain't good & dead until it's warm and dead. ;)

Fingers crossed for kits for you!!!
Unless you already see pooling of blood in fingernails lips etc..

Latest posts

Back