New Zealand Red litter size

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so it's normal to go hours between kits? <br /><br /> -- Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:17 pm -- <br /><br /> Okay so it's normal to go hours between kits?

I wouldn't say "normal" but more "not uncommon" - I had one that took about 24 hours from start to finish, but that was because of a large, stuck kit somewhere in the middle. It wasn't a good delivery for her, but she raised up 5 survivors so not a total loss. I'm hesitant to breed her with that buck again - unsure how much heat played a role.

I keep checking on her. She is not in any distress.

Thank you for your input <br /><br /> -- Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:32 pm -- <br /><br /> After 15 hours still only 2 kits

It's possible she was only carrying 2. It's most common when a doe is a bit overweight.
The "cure" is usually rebreeding her right away.

If you have any other does who had kits around the same time, it would be best to foster that baby to another nest, since a solitary kit may not produce enough heat to keep itself alive.

Oh, and leave the nestbox in place for a couple days, just-in-case!

Well the 2nd kit didn't make it though the night. So I am going to try a rebred her in a few days.

I notice she really didn't do anything to the nest box. Now my other new Zealand has fur and everything really nice in hers.

jr farms":327zdpq7 said:
Nice fall weather in mid 70s and 50s at night.

The heat sterility would be from the days/weeks leading up to and the time of breeding... not to mention the idea that the buck might shoot a few "blanks" before getting the pipes cleaned out. I would definitely rebreed now and see how she does with the next litter.

I always get a kick out of these questions and answers. And I've read a lot of these. I understand that we all want nice big healthy litters every time. I've had litters of 5 to 12 all year then just had one with 2. WHY don't have any idea there are so many factors that go into raising rabbits. And not every rabbit is meant to be a good doe or buck. There are a lot of things to look for in a rabbit genetics, size, temperament etc.... But one thing we need to remember is they are rabbits not MACHINES. And by the way Jr farms I'm sure she will do better for you next time and if not try another one. I've said "see ya" to a few of them in my life :mrgreen: . Anyway hope you find the answers you are looking for. Good luck

Thank you for your thoughts. I will try her one more time and see what happens.

I just had another red yesterday had 6 kits. 1 did not make it just the other 5 are doing good. <br /><br /> -- Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:23 pm -- <br /><br /> I just re bred her today. Hopefully we will have some better results with this litter

Latest posts

Back