New Zealand colors

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reids Rabbits

Reaction score
We just started our rabbity last fall. Desiding on what breeds to go with can be challenging as there are so many that I would want. Well, we decided to start with Dutch and NZW'S. I fell in love with my big new Zealand's and decided to try more colors!! ..... Okay, I am sooo excited. I get 2 red does and a blue buck in 10days ... yah :)
Now the search is on for getting a red buck.
Now why did I get the blue buck? ...because he is handsome and I am a sucker! Haha. But I figured I can bred him to my whites until I get my hands on a blue or black doe. But just curious, what color would the offspring be?? Strong blue pedigree and I believe my whites have strong white pedigrees. I am sure there are lots of posts about breeding what colors to what, but was hoping someone has played around with colors in New Zealand's and can give me a quick color lesson. :)

With REW (red eyed white) it all depends on what's under the white, could be hiding any of the NZ colours plus a few.

285197_10152497145375394_1212405888_n.jpg

Here is a picture of my blue NZ doe :) hehe

I don't know too much about the color genetics.. but it all depends what is in the pedigree.

Blue is a recessive, basically a rabbit that carries two copies of the blue dilute gene... diluting the black color to blue. So it will only show when both parents contribute the gene. So technically you could get blue second generation for sure if you bred one of the babies back to the blue parent.

REW as mentioned, it depends what is underneath. The REW gene stops color from expressing... so anything could be underneath.

Red I'm not so sure about. Its a dilute of something...

breed the blue buck to a black doe or you could get lucky and your REW is hiding black and keep a black doe from that first breeding then breed that 2nd gen black doe back to her dad the blue buck to get some blue kits

You'll figure out the genetics as you go along - I have New Zealands in several color varieties, all of whom (except my red does) have some OTHER color lurking around in their pedigrees somewhere. I get a cool kit color, post a picture on Rabbit Talk, and someone will enlighten me about "How" the color showed up!

It is true about the white "Masking" other colors. So, without a pedigree, its hard to know what you have until you get fun surprises in your nest box!

Now I am striving to minimize the "Other" colors in my solid breeding stock - while simultaneously playing with some harlequin coat patterns that are showing up from a certain red buck. I would like to have litters of all white kits from my white buck and white doe, and all red kits from the red buck and red doe - etc - and not have the agouti, steele, and 'surprise' colors.

Most white New Zealand's I have bred have been chestnut, steel or black under their white coats so these are the most likely colours you'll see in the nest box.

All your does kits will carry blue so if you keep a son and breed him back to her you could get opal and/or blue kits in 6 months. If you keep a black son to breed back to her then half the litter should be blue

Just thinking, back to an art class I took several years ago.
using a color wheel.
If you breed the Blue Buck to the Red Doe, should'nt you get
purple kits. LOL

of course this is just me thinking before my second cup of coffee.

CWD":3sypceqd said:
Just thinking, back to an art class I took several years ago.
using a color wheel.
If you breed the Blue Buck to the Red Doe, should'nt you get
purple kits. LOL

of course this is just me thinking before my second cup of coffee.

Attachments

• Bunny ride.jpg
    Bunny ride.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 97
Thanks all. I will definitely try my blue buck with my whites to see what I get. Hopefully a black will pop out :)

Latest posts

Back