New to Rabbit Talk

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br'er

Reaction score
Hi!!! I'm new here. I've been reading through some of the topics...just starting my research. We don't have a rabbit yet, but I've wanted one since I was a kid. I'm sure I'll find a lot of info here but any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated. I have two kids, ages 13 & 8. We have a dog and 2 sugar gliders. Where's the best place to get a bunny? I'm in Oklahoma and not finding much online. I've tried checking both rescue and breeders. Are you guys members of other sites as well? Looking forward to chatting with everyone here and learning more! :)

Try rabbitbreeders.us and hoobly.com for local rabbit breeders. Ask about temperament. Particularly with some of the really small breeds. Dutch and polish are 2 of the smaller breeds that more consistently have good temperaments. Everyone always wants to avoid the large breeds especially for children's pets but they tend to be the more laid back and easier to handle rabbits. They are more likely to sit calmly with you. They just take more space and make bigger poop. I see several satin breeders in your state. Lots of lops which are usually a good pet choice if you like the lop ears.

If you like red eyes, Himalayans are said to be another great choice for a smaller pet.

The best place to get a bunny IMO is from a really good breeder.

Opinions on what makes a breeder really good may vary though. :lol:

Hi HOWsMom & Bug4H! I've been reading through some of your posts! How long have you been looking at getting a rabbit?

HOWsMom":26h5atyn said:
Hi !

My daughter (Bug4H) and I are new here as well - they are very welcoming here I've found.

Thanks for the feedback akane! I've been looking at lops and/or lionheads but open to any kind that's sweet.

akane":12o0muif said:
Try rabbitbreeders.us and hoobly.com for local rabbit breeders. Ask about temperament. Particularly with some of the really small breeds. Dutch and polish are 2 of the smaller breeds that more consistently have good temperaments. Everyone always wants to avoid the large breeds especially for children's pets but they tend to be the more laid back and easier to handle rabbits. They are more likely to sit calmly with you. They just take more space and make bigger poop. I see several satin breeders in your state. Lots of lops which are usually a good pet choice if you like the lop ears.
<br /><br /> __________ Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:32 pm __________ <br /><br /> Thanks Zass! The himalayans are so cute! Love the markings.

Zass":12o0muif said:
If you like red eyes, Himalayans are said to be another great choice for a smaller pet.

The best place to get a bunny IMO is from a really good breeder.

Opinions on what makes a breeder really good may vary though. :lol:

Welcome to RT, Br'er!

:welcomewagon:

I think you will really enjoy learning here at RT with us. It is really neat that you, Bug4H, and HowsMom can learn and share your rabbit hunting journey together!

I can hardly wait to see how everything turns out for all of you, and see what cute little bunnies you end up with! :p

Welcome, Br'er! :hi:

You have come to the right place. I have not seen a group of more knowledgeable and patient rabbit folks anywhere on the 'net. :hooray:

Welcome,

You might try stopping at a local feed store and asking the owner
"who's" buying pellets, and how much. They can tell you and
steer you in the right direction.

DO NOT buy a rabbit from a local swap and shop, or auction.
Most generally those animals aren't worth a days ration.

grumpy

Grumpy, good idea! Thanks. Also had a neighbor suggest I call some local vets to find a reputable breeder.

grumpy":1gm1fw4z said:
Welcome,

You might try stopping at a local feed store and asking the owner
"who's" buying pellets, and how much. They can tell you and
steer you in the right direction.

DO NOT buy a rabbit from a local swap and shop, or auction.
Most generally those animals aren't worth a days ration.

grumpy

Welcome to RT!

I am going to modify Grumpy's advice a bit- you CAN buy rabbits at a swap meet, you just have to be extra vigilant when you do. We regularly go to our local flea market, and most of the animals there I would never bring home. A lot of the people are resellers, and the ones who aren't are just not great stewards.

But that's not true for everyone selling. We occasionally sell rabbits there. They are in clean cages, up off the ground, plenty of food and water, not overcrowded, and the rabbits look good. I also bring my breeder book, and can answer any questions. I provide two days of feed and my business card with my phone number for folks with questions. I also give them the RT site info.

My point is, if someone at a flea market can speak intelligently about the animals they have, and you take some time to talk to them and look over the animals, you can sometimes find good stock.

:welcome: I got mine from my aunt, who breeds them. You can find rabbits at shelters, yes, buuuuut they are usually in super poor condition there. (Or at my local shelter they are. :shrug:) I guess it kinda depends.
And welcome to RT! Enjoy your staaaaay! :p

Hello I'm new here from Iowa.
I purchased two male mini rexes last fall. One died aprox 3 months later but we still have the one, LJ. He is wonderful and so soft. We made him his own cage in the house and let him roam a bit in a confined area. My two Sheltie dogs still play a bit too rough to let LJ roam around with them. Although they love each other and are amazingly loving.

LJ has developed a case of diarrhea over last few weeks and am using another place in the forum that is helping immensly. Changing his diet and adding a few things has helped already overnight.
Sure don't want to lose him. Although he has a determination to get better me thinks. I now see how frail rabbits can be and diarrhea can do them in. He isn't dehydrated and is still eating well. Very thankful and glad to be here in the forum and learn a lot more.
:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Latest posts

Back