New to Natural Feeding help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjlattimore88

Reaction score
So i made the decision to switch to making my own rabbit feed because of the chemicals found in pellets plus i think its cheaper. But i need some help with ratios and content. So far i know i want

Crimped oats & Crimped Barley & Calf Manna & Timothy Hay Cubes

Please if anybody has any ideas and suggestions of what and if i will need to add to this and the ratios please help lol it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW im raising and breeding silver fox

I don't consider Calf Manna to be a "natural" food. If you have not already done so, I suggest you read the ingredients list before relying on it. If you were planning to use it to up the protein content of your mix, you might consider using alfalfa cubes instead of timothy cubes.

These threads will give you some good ideas:
natural-feed-formula-list-t12371.html
trinity-oaks-grain-feed-mix-t6809.html

Please remember that your rabbits will need a trace mineral salt block if they are on natural feed. A larger block (4 or 5 pounds) is much more economical than the little spools sold for pets. You can easily knock chunks off it with a hammer and serve it in a small crock to keep it off the wire.

I'm starting to feed my rabbits a completely natural, pellet-free diet. The only time I use Calf Manna is when I have a rabbit that needs to gain weight/improve condition- and even then, you can use oats and BOSS instead.

WildWolf":1dxg131k said:
I'm starting to feed my rabbits a completely natural, pellet-free diet. The only time I use Calf Manna is when I have a rabbit that needs to gain weight/improve condition- and even then, you can use oats and BOSS instead.

What is BOSS and where can i get it<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:47 am __________<br /><br />
MaggieJ":1dxg131k said:
I don't consider Calf Manna to be a "natural" food. If you have not already done so, I suggest you read the ingredients list before relying on it. If you were planning to use it to up the protein content of your mix, you might consider using alfalfa cubes instead of timothy cubes.

These threads will give you some good ideas:
natural-feed-formula-list-t12371.html
trinity-oaks-grain-feed-mix-t6809.html

Please remember that your rabbits will need a trace mineral salt block if they are on natural feed. A larger block (4 or 5 pounds) is much more economical than the little spools sold for pets. You can easily knock chunks off it with a hammer and serve it in a small crock to keep it off the wire.

Where can u buy the trace mineral salt block that large and is thier a certain type or brand that i should look for

BOSS is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, like you feed to the birds. Very good supplement for rabbits in moderation.

Any feed store should have trace mineral salt blocks. I use the reddish brown ones for general livestock. If you are feeling unsure, you could compare the mineral list in the small spools with the one on the large blocks.

Back