New to feeding RAW

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
We got a new dog and were surprised at our little poop machine. I swear every nibble that went in comes right back out. So we're onto raw food.

Any successes? Failures? Good recipes?

Both of my dogs (GSDs) are fed raw. Works pretty well for the most part, but introduce new foods slowly. I started mine on chicken quarters. They love venison, pork, canned mackral, eggs, and organ meats too. Rabbit tends to plug them up, and if they have too much liver, they could shoot a goose through a screen door if you catch my drift, so I tend to feed rabbit and liver together.

The general rule of thumb is to feed 2-3% of their ideal body weight per day. Veggies are ok, but those should be cooked or ground or they won't absorb the nutrients from them. Skip any grains, and aim for a ratio or 75% muscle, 15% bone, 10% organ meat. Organ meat doesn't have to be fed every day- a couple times a week is fine- and only 50% should be liver.

My girls chew their food really well, but if your dog is a gulper, either serve larger pieces that they can't swallow whole, or consider grinding everything. Leerburg.com has some great info on RAW feeding.

Good luck! Poop patrol is much nicer with a RAW diet.

Latest posts

Back