New rabbit sneezing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eternaladdictions

Reaction score
I just bought 3 rabbits from a breeder 8 days ago. I carefully checked over them. All appeared healthy and happy. I brought a doe and 2 bucks home. I quarantined them from our other rabbit and the next morning the doe was sneezing. She got moved into the house since I ran out of safe places for her to go. She has been sneezing for about a week now. She has some nasal discharge. The first 5 days it was white, now it is clear and there isnt much coming out. No crusties or anything. The other 2 appear to be just fine. No sneezes or anything from them.
I contacted the breeder and she thought it was because they live outside, put into air conditioning in the car then back outside. The doe has been vaccinated for pasturellla. She doesnt want me to cull her and just give her more time. Does the vaccine work?

My question is this: Does it sound like she is carrying pasturella and the symptoms appeared when she was stressed? I want to breed my rabbits for health and temperament. I'm not sure there is a place for her in my herd. I dont want to have to worry about her getting sick when she is stressed, giving it to my buck or her future kits. She's not a nice doe anyway, but the breeder is adamant that its not pasturella.

Inside-outside-inside can be stressful, but after a week in one place, I'd expect her to be getting better. It sounds like maybe it is.

Here's the main vaccine thread we have, including downloads of documentation from the maker: info-about-pan-american-vet-labs-vaccine-for-pasteurella-t15713.html . You can do a search on here to find if there is any more recent info from anyone.

Does the vaccine work? I think the jury is still out. The documentation shows that, at least at that point, no third-party testing had been done. I think that there are a couple of members on here who have gotten it for their buns, and their buns have stayed well... but whether that's due to the vaccine or not is anyone's guess.

Whether it's pasteurella or something less threatening, she does not have as strong an immune system as the two bucks. You want to breed for health and temperament... you can wait it out, and see if anything happens when you breed her, or you can cull her and replace her with a hopefully more robust doe.

Back