New pics - Guesses?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerriG

Reaction score
This is from my litter of 12. There are 2 that look like they are going to be Torts. Then there are 5 of each of these colors.

From the top, the only difference is the pink in the ears.
IMG_20121228_143858_zps478b2b34.jpg

The tummy is the big difference. They didn't want to hold still for this picture.
IMG_20121228_143918_zpscf2b50c8.jpg

Another belly picture of the darker kit.
IMG_20121227_145903_zps0a15a001.jpg

My guess is that the top 2 are rabbits and the bottom 1 is a mouse.... :ugeek: Hehe

Sorry, it takes me at least 5 weeks to tell what they are and even then the SCF likes to make a visit.

it's still too early to tell what kind of agouti the top one is. I can tell you what it's not, because it would be lighter. Not a lilac, but could still be a chestnut or an opal or chin. The bottom some solid, looks to dark to be a blue, probably black. Do you know if you have chocolate on both sides?

Peach":208rvc8h said:
Usually the light in the ears and light underbelly means agouti. Perhaps opals? Chins? What colors did you breed together?

Dam is a Chestnut Agouti (meat mutt) who we know throws 'at' (Aat). We have gotten a Silver Marten and a Chin in her previous litter, but this is a different buck (same breeder, different line). Sire is from a Black Satin line (he is not satin) and his Dam was a Checkered Giant (she was on site).

Looking tonight, one of the pink ones that I thought would be a Fawn or a Tort is actually coming in as a Blue or something. It will be interesting to see how he develops. He is the runt, so hopefully he survives. I'm really curious about him.

I know one of her other litters had a kit that we thought was black, but I can't remember if that one turned out to be Chin or Marten.<br /><br />__________ Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:56 pm __________<br /><br />
skysthelimit":208rvc8h said:
it's still too early to tell what kind of agouti the top one is. I can tell you what it's not, because it would be lighter. Not a lilac, but could still be a chestnut or an opal or chin. The bottom some solid, looks to dark to be a blue, probably black. Do you know if you have chocolate on both sides?

I'm going to have to look up Opal and see what that is. She has had Chin before, but like I said, that was with a different buck. I have no idea about chocolate.

Black otter? At least that's what mine look like when they are born.....

I don't know if your genetics will support that though....

Tegan":1jd1zkuk said:
Black otter? At least that's what mine look like when they are born.....

I don't know if your genetics will support that though....

If that buck is black yes. Otters and agoutis are hard to distinguish in the first few days. What I notice about my otters is when they fur out around 4-5 days, the fur is obviously different. The otter stays black and the agouti gets ticking. My otters also keep a naked neck on the back where the otter triangle is.

The pink in ears baby could be Chestnut, Otter or Silver Marten. You'll know soon as the fur comes in. The totally black kit could only be black. The pink kit coming in as blue could be Smoke Pearl.

Opal is a blue agouti, if you have a dilute gene, I can't remember. Could be a chin, an agouti carrying otter could also carry chin, but the buck would have to be have to carry chin or have a REW gene.

Did the other thread has out what you think the genotype of your rabbits are yet?

Dam is Aat B_ Ccchd D_ Ee
Sire is aa B_ C_ D_ Ee

We do have dilute in another doe and buck that came from the same breeder, but different line than this sire.

TerriG":11wqygbe said:
Dam is Aat B_ Ccchd D_ Ee
Sire is aa B_ C_ D_ Ee

We do have dilute in another doe and buck that came from the same breeder, but different line than this sire.

So unless you have dilute in these two, smoked pearl, opal and blue are not possible. We shall see, and you may just have more pieces of the puzzle to fill in. A REW gene in the sire would make a chin possible.

Though if the doe is truly Aat, then you would not have any selfs. Aa would result in agoutis, and ata would result in otters. I would have to go back and look at the original discussion, for the dark one to be a self AatB_CcchdD_Ee would have to be AaB_CcchdD_Ee.

Back