new next box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagullplayer

Reaction score
I have had a hard time finding a wooden next box locally.
I want a wooden one for winter, I think metal is just too cold in the winter.
So last night I built one. Don't know if this is my final design or not.
It is all scrap plywood, I drilled a couple "drainage holes" in the bottom.

This one will fit though the does cage door and hopefully offer max protection from the cold. I would love to line the bottom with something the doe wouldn't eat on and would help insulate the litter? And that I can find locally...

She will get plenty of straw and Hay when the time comes.
She is due Ash Wednesday, I will place the box in the Saturday or Sunday before.
I sure hope this mild winter we are having here in Southern Indiana continues!
This past week would have been perfect!

nestbox.jpg

looks just like mine. but mine will be put to the 1st test next week. is heavy cardboard okay to line the bottom? thats what i was planning with pine shavings and plenty of hay.

cardboard should be fine. I dont have a picture of my box but all I use is a cardboard box. Hubby got a bunch of them from work, I just cut them into the shape of a nestbox, and throw them away when the litter is done. I suppose I will have to have him make me a couple of wooden ones when i run out but I really like the cardboard ones (as long as the doe doesnt pee in them).

Jessica, if you are using a cardboard box as a nest box, I hope you are anchoring it to the side of the cage. Otherwise you may end up with it being tipped over by the doe, resulting in injuries to the kits and possible chilling.

MaggieJ":1rx9nq62 said:
Jessica, if you are using a cardboard box as a nest box, I hope you are anchoring it to the side of the cage. Otherwise you may end up with it being tipped over by the doe, resulting in injuries to the kits and possible chilling.

I never thought to do that, this is my 6th litter I have used the box :oops: Luckily I have never had that happen yet. What should I use, wire ties or those metal things used for chain link fences?

Wire ties - or just a length of wire - threaded through punctures in the box should work. You just want to stabilize it so if the doe makes a clumsy jump in or out, the box doesn't tip. The same goes for lightweight plastic nest boxes.

We build our own as well, but I had hubby add a little lip to the front of it. We used to have lots of escapees that would come out with momma after nursing. The lip acts as a scraper, and scrapes the kit off mommas nipples when nursing. Since adding it, we've only had a couple youngsters get out until they are actually jumping out on their own.

Latest posts

Back