New job opportunity located!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelbers91

Reaction score
A new senior home opened up 15 min From me an only 5 min from school. I applied for a care giver position for normal residents and a position for Alzheimer's / dementia care manager. Only 20 cents less then what I am making now and I can get insurance within 90 days, 3 week paid vacation on the first year and they have a 401k plan and full time hours. I'm too excited waiting to hear back from them! Lol hope I get one of them! :p

How great that the job is so close to home and school! Nice benefit package, too. :)

I hope you get one of the positions- I'm sure with your compassionate heart you would do very well there.

will be praying for this new Job opportunity for you.
GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much! Ill let y'all know what goes down. Also someone told me about the heartship you go through in those jobs but I told them a good short story and a tear jerker of two of my most memorable experiences from doing bird programs at senior homes to show that I think I am up for it. if you'd like to hear them I can post them. (The one is a major tear jerker though just to put out the warning. ;)

I actually had typed out that you might try "greasing the wheels" by bringing your birds to "visit" the residents, but then deleted it because I wasn't sure if the little birdies would be safe in that environment.

However, if you have taken them to places like this before, it might be a good idea to ask the director or manager of the facility if that would be okay. That way they could see how you interact with their "guests" (read patients)... it would be like a free (for them) trial period so they can assess your suitability for their facility.

MamaSheepdog":14kdjm4t said:
I actually had typed out that you might try "greasing the wheels" by bringing your birds to "visit" the residents, but then deleted it because I wasn't sure if the little birdies would be safe in that environment.

However, if you have taken them to places like this before, it might be a good idea to ask the director or manager of the facility if that would be okay. That way they could see how you interact with their "guests" (read patients)... it would be like a free (for them) trial period so they can assess your suitability for their facility.

I actually thought about that too lol since I got Freddie harness trained I was thinking either

A) take Freddie to visit the residents if allowed

Or

B) suggest to them (if they don't have animal enrichment for the people) about possibly of having a bird set up. With that I could take care of them myself if they wanted and I know where to get the birds for one (they might possibly even be donated) and I could perform the birds maintenance and clip their wings and take those birds around to the residents. That way if they wanted to see the bird that they were holding they could watch it in the enclosure.

Like I said I am all for helping the people have a more enriched experience.

Here are the memories, so past this point is tear jerker time.
With my senior home experience with the bird programs,
One of my most memorable experiences is one where I have this woman with Alzheimer's disease a cockatiel to hold and she went off about the bird she had 30 years back and everyone who knew her was shocked. It was a great feeling.

Did one for terminally ill children and, god this brings tears to me every time, no I am goin to cry typing this so please.. beware. There was a little girl, around 8years old with cancer on her bed and the father comes up and asked if they could trouble us for a picture of the bird and his daughter. John put his one cockatoo on the side rail for her to watch, play with and pet. She laughed as the bird danced for her and loved its soft plumage. Before we left she asked, "When the birdie dies, can she come play with me in heaven?" We told her yes of course she could keep her forever in heaven. About 8 months later I get an email from John telling me the girls father called him to let him know she passed away and thanked him for the show and letting his daughter play with the bird. He said she kept that picture with her and talked about how she loved that bird till the day she passed away..

I do think though that because I enjoy making others happy so much that this would be an ok job for me despite the emotions that could play in. My friend works in one of the units and says its beautiful there and it looks beautiful from what I've seen online.

HAving been in a SNF 3 times over the past few years, I say go for it. At one facility, on Thursdays, the employees would bring their epts in for the residents to interact with...A t another, yes, there was a very nice glass aviary filled with finches that provided some entertainment. There is an elderly gentleman that brings a trick- trianed cockatoo to such places, as well. One facility wiht the aviary-- the activities director has also arranged for alpaca to come-- and a couple kids ride their horses by, will dismount, and lead their horses window to window, so residents can get a close up look -- sure, through a window, but hey it does bring a smile... When I was in one facility, and had Connor with me-- several resident 'came to life' When i visit a couple friends there ( a old neighbors daughter is confined there) i am asked about Connor and the rabbits no fail!!!

Yay!! I'm going to get a call back and if nothing goes through for an earlier date I can go in on Wed for an interview! :D

That sounds really nice that they do all that! Even with an alpaca ya know?

Back