New doggie for rat patrol!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonladyleanne

Reaction score
I found an incredible "almost too good to be true" ad on CL yesterday. Someone GIVING AWAY a 7 month old "Lab/Cocker Spaniel" mix, already neutered, utd on shots, microchipped even. A few emails and texts later, find that she's not given away yet, oh we raise rabbits too (gotta warn you they're for meat), come on and get her. Arrived and everything said WAS true, dog was sweet, had tags current for rabies, I got to see the rabbits - in fact the lady tried to give me a rabbit and a kitten as well! The rabbit, because it was a bad mama and her husband hated it (which meant I didn't want it either - besides I had not brought a cage) and the kitten because she had a litter from one of her barn cats. The dog belonged to her adult daughter who had to move back in with them, and apparently they were downsizing, as the woman said "now all we need is to sell her horse", plus the mama had 2 HUGE dogs (danes/mastiffs) who had "jumped" the 7 month old puppy. We exchanged FB names. Got the dog home, and she is SO well behaved (ok, she did jump the fence last night, but we moved the doghouse so she couldn't launch off it anymore and she WAS waiting for us in the neighbor's yard), she seems already to know the rabbits are her job. Now if I can just trap a rat to show her she CAN terrorize THOSE!

Attachments

• Molly and Bunny Hutches.jpg
    Molly and Bunny Hutches.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 365
  • Molly's Doghouse.jpg
    Molly's Doghouse.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 365
  • Stephen & Molly.jpg
    Stephen & Molly.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 365
  • Sweet Molly Malone.jpg
    Sweet Molly Malone.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 365
Nice find!! We just got a new dog- he was wandering around our neighborhood- but he is a human protector, not a rabbit protector. He's a american bulldog, maybe a tiny bit pit. :)

Wow! Congrats on getting a well started pup for free!

You should have taken a kitten or two also. ;)

MamaSheepdog":40yyqy6m said:
Wow! Congrats on getting a well started pup for free!

You should have taken a kitten or two also. ;)

Not enough space! Plus outdoor cats tend to get run over or go missing around this neighborhood, and indoors I already have 4 cats (permanent residents), 2 rabbits (one in quarantine and one the renter's) and the renter's dog at night. I'd have gone nuts trying to introduce more than one new animal to that mix, not to mention my husband would probably divorce me! And I worked too hard to get him into this country (plus I kinda love him ;)) to risk that! If I'd had a cage with me, I'd have taken the NZW doe though, bad mamas can sometimes be tamed, and always can become stew! But this lady sometimes attends the livestock swaps that I do, so we may yet do some rabbit business.

:pancake:

She's cute! Great find! I need to look on CL to see if I can find me barn kitty who would like to hunt voles or maybe a vole huntin' little terrier!!! ;)

she is cute for sure

hope she can learn to take care of the rat problem for ya. She does come from hunting breeds so maybe she will catch on..

...and maybe she will not be like our "guard" dogs who decided that once a rabbit is out of its cage it is something to hunt or herd...have not had them kill any but they do give them a good chase...comes in handy when you need to catch them though :p those Houdini rabbits can be a pain

although I was told the best ones are Jack Russell Terriers...but they will literally chew through your barn wall (if wood or plastic etc.) to get at a rat

My Molly (German shepard pup) approves of your new one's name.

Congrats on the cute little one!

She is a cute pup. I hope she get a chance to rid some rats for you.
my border collie is great around my rabbits. but she also likes the mice. she will allow them to share
her food dish.
my cat on the other hand loves mice also, just in a different way. she thinks they are DELICIOUS !!!

good luck with her. you got a good one with her.

Back