New doe without buttterfly

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHaven

Reaction score
I was recently given a decent rex doe that was passed on getting culled due to the fact she was nice in many ways, but for lack of a butterfly on her nose. If I breed her to a solid buck will she possibly pass kits with butterflies or no. I read an interesting article about this problem being more common in broken chocolates/choc otters by one breeder. I can breed her to my black buck if that would increase the odds of better color. What are your experinces. While I will cull for meat, I don't breed specifically for this reason myself, so won't breed her if there is no chance.

there is a chance.

Do you know if having a good butterfly runs in the family?

But I've had none butterfly rabbits have youngsters with butterflies. :) (for some reason that sounds funny to me this morning). :)

I have a couple of does without butterflies. When bred to a solid buck they produce some kits with really nice markings, some with 1/2 butterflies, and some without. Hope that helps a bit.

Same. My favorite Rex doe was lightly marked with no butterfly and all her kits were heavily marked with large butterflies.

Latest posts

Back