New doe had her kits!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
But....she had them on the wire and still born.
First one was a surprise, I guess for the both of us, lol. She didn't look pregnant or anything.
Hours later I notice about 8-10 on the wire with a small fur pile. Moved them all to a grass hay nest and plucked more fur. But then I saw her trying to build a nest through the kits, so I took it out. I'll try giving the nest back to her before bedtime and then again tomorrow after work, noon.
She had a lot of them for her first litter, so hoping she can at least feed them, with my help or otherwise. Won't be able to breed any more does until Fall. And I have 2 due this week.
No pics as they are all warming up and I'm waiting on the sheep shearer to show up.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:02 pm __________<br /><br />Gave her the nest and she fed them! But then pulled a ton of fur and started digging again, not safe. So I moved the nest back out. Maybe after a few times, she will stop digging...
11 live kits, 1 was still born!

Wow, big litter!

I hope the digging settles down... maybe you could give her another nest to satisfy her need to scratch and hopefully be able to put the nest of kits back in sooner.

Other nests are in use for other expecting does. Her nest is actually the bottom half of a plastic dog/cat crate, lol. They are great, $15 for two nests really. Open top, very low front, good for those who make their own low front nests.
I guess I can look for another crate to take apart for her to dig away in.
I was surprised when she hopped in and started feeding them, best first time mom I've had so far!

__________ Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:45 pm __________

Went out and gave her the nest, she fed them again. But then started hopping around in there. Noticed she was having issues with the wire floor and her front paws. Took nest out and gave her a bucket lid to sit on.
Here you can see her going to lay down. She flicks her feet and then flops down.
249178_427291963970984_1628972141_n.jpg

Here's her lid and she's sticking her tongue out at me.
550959_427291943970986_1098221893_n.jpg

Her 11 kits!
251933_427292173970963_1736466013_n.jpg

ChickiesnBunnies":28s1847b said:
Noticed she was having issues with the wire floor and her front paws.

I wonder if all that digging made her paws sore?

She didn't have a nest, no digging until I found the 1st baby on the wire. She was early and didn't look pregnant what so ever. She had the rest on the wire, I moved them back in and she started pulling more fur and then digging it in. Took nest out and she went to lay down. No wire digging at all.
I'll check her feet when I wash her ears.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:16 am __________<br /><br />Man, my Am Chin doe had 11 live kits, 1 runt and one still born. They are really popping out the kits this week!
Was able to leave the nest with mom. She pulled more fur, fed them and then just went off to nap. So I think she might be done digging in it.

It sounds like her nesting instinct just kicked in after the birth instead of before. Congrats on the Chin kits!

Well, she slept/sat in the nest. Peed all over the kits, 9 were crammed in a back corner. One is MIA and another dead. Rest I moved to a new, fresh & dry nest. Guess I'll be putting the nest in 2x a day...

My SF doe just keeps pulling fur! Wow, she is now white from all the fur she's pulled out and just stuffed her nest with it! I took out about 1 gallon bag full of fur to clean and save.

Also woke up to one of my Pekin hens quacking her face off, she wouldn't shut it! Fed them and let them out, she shut back up...

Found a mouse outside the kitchen, no idea if it ate some poison or if the cats caught it. Kylie is now flinging it all over the house...ewww.

Am Chin kits are so COLORFUL! Black, white, gray at least. =D They are all doing well.

Oh yea, a duck also got stuck to some fly tape..critters...ugh.

ChickiesnBunnies":1l1gylyb said:
Oh yea, a duck also got stuck to some fly tape..critters...ugh.

that I would have liked a picture of, and a caption "well it's gonna be one of those days..."

Somebody is always getting stuck to the tapes. Both cats have gotten stuck on the 1in tape in the house. 1st cat was bald on her tail from it as she caught the end on something and ripped it off. I've had the same little hen get stuck to the 1ft giant roll twice...in the same day! Two ducks and 1 other chicken have also gotten stuck. I try to put them in places they can't reach, won't fly into, etc, but they just seem to be attracted to it...

Back