New Bred?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild1slilfarm

Reaction score
Was wandering if any one had any ideas on starting a new breed?

So far i have a beautiful Steal colored doe she wieghs about 5 1/2lbs, her mom was a florida white and her dad was a mini rex.
we took her and bred her to a mini rex buck, she has 2 steals, 2 cheastnut?, 1 black.
want to keep the first 4 and bred to a freinds steal colored buck(Thrianta x Florida White) he is the same size as my doe.
will post pics asap, was wandering if any one has any other idea's about the best way to go? :?:

query is why do you want to start a new breed. There's tons of rabbit breeds out there, what would your breed offer that other ones don't?

The process of developing a new breed takes a long time and needs to, I think, be different in three different aspects from other breeds already available.

I would have a definitive goal of what I wanted to accomplish with the new breed- is it for meat, what body type, colors, weight, size, etc. What are the goals?

You would have to repeat those breedings multiple times using unrelated stock so that eventually when you get to the point of the rabbit you want, you have another to breed to. I think it was the Blanc Hotot that the breeder had over 500 breedings to accomplish that breed before it was an accepted breed and bred true.

I think it sounds interesting and fun, love to see pictures.

Latest posts

Back