Nethies developed by crossing to ....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
All over the net it states that in the development of the Netherland dwarf breed, polish rabbits where crossed with a "wild rabbit" to improve type. None of the sites I found said what kind of wild rabbit that was.

Does anyone know what kind of wild rabbit was used to help develop the Netherland dwarf breed?

I thought domestic rabbits could not be crossed with wild rabbits and have viable young. I wonder if it is a myth?

It would have to have been an Oryctolagus cuniculus from which all domestic rabbits are descended from.

there are still lots of wild rabbits, Oryctolagus cuniculus, in Europe and Australia (intoduced species) but the "wild rabbits" in North America are a completely different genus - Sylvilagus - and are not interbreedable with Oryctolagus

PS - European rabbits (O. cuniculus) were also introduced to North America but the high density of predators prevented them from getting a foot hold. It is possible there are a few colonies of them around but the vast majority of rabbits you see are of the Sylivagus genus that includes Cottontails, Swamp and Marsh rabbits,

I can't find much. Just this. Which, like Dood said, should be the wild rabbits in europe that all our domestic rabbits are descended from.
Early dwarfs, even into the 1970s and 1980s, had fearful and sometimes aggressive temperaments. This was a result of breeders selecting wild breeding animals for their size. The first dwarf rabbits behaved more like these wild rabbits than domestic animals and were not good pets.

Partially explains why Acer is going to lose his head. :angry: I have a quarter sized bruise where he launched an attack on my arm with 2 bites drawing blood while running around out of his cage. Completely unprovoked. Breeders need to start working on the temperament. Most seem to get it to the point they can manhandle their dwarf rabbits and then quit selecting for temperament. Since so many go for pets or kids to show I don't think the breed is being taken the direction it needs to. I should have kept my other ND rabbits despite not being show quality and not having pedigrees. They could have contributed great personalities.

akane":3f81f82v said:
I can't find much. Just this. Which, like Dood said, should be the wild rabbits in europe that all our domestic rabbits are descended from.
Early dwarfs, even into the 1970s and 1980s, had fearful and sometimes aggressive temperaments. This was a result of breeders selecting wild breeding animals for their size. The first dwarf rabbits behaved more like these wild rabbits than domestic animals and were not good pets.

Partially explains why Acer is going to lose his head. :angry: I have a quarter sized bruise where he launched an attack on my arm with 2 bites drawing blood while running around out of his cage. Completely unprovoked. Breeders need to start working on the temperament. Most seem to get it to the point they can manhandle their dwarf rabbits and then quit selecting for temperament. Since so many go for pets or kids to show I don't think the breed is being taken the direction it needs to. I should have kept my other ND rabbits despite not being show quality and not having pedigrees. They could have contributed great personalities.

I would prefer you didn't blame all (and yes, from what you typed you were insinuating all) Dwarf breeders for a bad egg. I get so tired of hearing people say that. Just to let you guys know, there are a lot of GOOD RESPONSIBLE breeders of Netherland Dwarfs who want to improve the breed.

I have defended netherlands before so don't make assumptions.

I've gotten good netherlands from a ways south of here but I've tried 3 local breeders with the same results of nasty netherlands who don't produce well. I should have kept the ones I had even though they weren't great for show purposes. They at least produced healthy and friendly netherlands. I'd even prefer the pet store netherland I bought. We were thinking of turning her in to a therapy animal because she had such good temperament but she caught pasturella. I'm trying some from chicago but Acer is one of them. She did warn about him having attitude but he is quite fine in his cage and being carried so I wasn't too concerned. Then while out running around I moved my arm near him and he attacked it. I'm hoping the other 2 are better. The doe is quite nervous like the other does I got but maybe she will settle down.

akane":1ufojssh said:
Breeders need to start working on the temperament. Most seem to get it to the point they can manhandle their dwarf rabbits and then quit selecting for temperament. Since so many go for pets or kids to show I don't think the breed is being taken the direction it needs to. I should have kept my other ND rabbits despite not being show quality and not having pedigrees. They could have contributed great personalities.

I agree temperament should be a huge focus in breeding. Sadly show quality for some(not necessarily most) is more important. I've been a breeder of Lionheads and my focus is on temperament. I can definitely see how small breed breeders can overlook aggressiveness as the rabbits are much easier to control. I recently started breeding some French Angoras and what a difference that size and weight makes. They are gentle in the cage and outside of the cage but they do not like transitioning. Boy can they do some damage really quick.

Dood":uw6g9syp said:
It would have to have been an Oryctolagus cuniculus from which all domestic rabbits are descended from.

there are still lots of wild rabbits, Oryctolagus cuniculus, in Europe and Australia (intoduced species) but the "wild rabbits" in North America are a completely different genus - Sylvilagus - and are not interbreedable with Oryctolagus

PS - European rabbits (O. cuniculus) were also introduced to North America but the high density of predators prevented them from getting a foot hold. It is possible there are a few colonies of them around but the vast majority of rabbits you see are of the Sylivagus genus that includes Cottontails, Swamp and Marsh rabbits,

Thanks Dood, I'm constantly amazed at how much people on this site know, about all sorts of things not just rabbits, but also things like genetics and how grits kill fire ants. I learn so much here.

ckcs":11kc6mpe said:
I recently started breeding some French Angoras and what a difference that size and weight makes. They are gentle in the cage and outside of the cage but they do not like transitioning. Boy can they do some damage really quick.
I have found this to be quite true.

Going from the cage to wherever, I'm likely to lose some tendons in my arms. Hence, the kevlar sleeves. 10lb bucks. Inside the cage and on my lap, they are sweethearts.

My Nethie was a jewel, actually stood on my shoulder. Took her to school all the time. She was a pet store bunny from a local breeder in a small town, I actually met the breeder when she brought them in. It was so long ago, and I wish I had taken the peds of those bunnies I bought then in NY. Wonderful temperments.
Nowadays...I've closed my herd because I'm tired of fighting biting bunnies. No more bad temperaments in. You blink at me wrong and I'll help you across the rainbow bridge.

Latest posts

Back