Netherland Dwarf: Show quality maybe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBlaze85

Reaction score
Okay, as I originally posted in another spot on the boards, I've never really had rabbits, and I've never shown any animal. I know a bit about showing dogs, but I never had a clue you could show rabbits. The breeder I got Ollie and her brother from said he was selling them as pets because their ears crossed, which made them a DQ. Which was a real shame, he said, because they were good otherwise. I didn't think much about it, and we later neutered Frost. When I took Ollie to the vet to have her nails done, I asked about spaying her, and the vet looked at me like I was bonkers. He told me that fixed rabbits can't be shown, and I told him I didn't show. He said that Ollie would 'likely place high' in local and state, possibly higher. So I looked up the ARBA guide, and it's like reading Urdu to me. o_O I have -no clue-. It didn't say anything about crossed ears being a DQ, and it's only the tips that do it occasionally.

So.... *deep breath* LONG story short, this is Ollie. I'm curious if she's at all show-quality... if she is, then I may look into showing her this spring at some of the local areas. If the breeder was right and she's not, then I'll go ahead and spay her and turn her into a fully-spoiled pet (not that she isn't already. :lol: )

I know you're supposed to stack dogs, but I don't know about bunnies... someone said Netherlands are supposed to sit all compact with their heads up, but I didn't force Ollie into any pose. I just let her have some fun and snapped some pics. Lemme know if I did wrong?

100_8105.jpg

100_8099.jpg

100_8093.jpg

head-on

100_8100.jpg

Bunny-butt. :p But you can see here where her ears criss-cross at the tips.

100_8097.jpg

Yes? No? :bunnyhop:

I would ge happy for this little doe to be in my hutch she is lovely. As for the slight cross over of ears, I would say thats minimal and would be happy to put her on the judges table.

@Bramble: Thank you! ^_^ She was a rather unexpected present in a roundabout way, but I love her. She's so feisty and weird! XD Her ear cross thingie isn't always normal... sometimes the one on the bottom in the pic is on top, and sometimes they don't cross. But it's never any more severe than this. :)

Maybe a silly question, but can you show bunnies and not really have to breed them? I don't really want to breed her (she did once by accident with her brother... we didn't know until she came hopping out of her cage one day and nudged a dead little peanut over to us. :< ). It'd be one thing if she was like, national champ or something, but I don't have any illusions she'd get that far. XD She's my baby girl, first and foremost.

@Mama: What kind of bunnies are you wanting to show? *is curious*

She's adorable! I don't show, but my daughter is starting to. She has a Netherland Dwarf, but I think he's a mix because his ears are too long. Your bun's ears are just right it looks like! She's super cute. Good luck showing her! I'd love to hear if she places, or whatever it's called, lol.

Yes you can just show bunnies without breeding them (at least here in Australia, but I imagine it would be similar). I have a couple of friends that are very limited on room s do not breed but enjoy showing their bunnies.

@Calico: Oh, her brother's ears are just utterly adorable!! They're even smaller than hers, and completely erect, and just gyuh.

Frost2.jpg

SilverBlaze85":x66uizvy said:
@Calico: Oh, her brother's ears are just utterly adorable!! They're even smaller than hers, and completely erect, and just gyuh.

Frost2.jpg

Awwwwwwwwwww! LOVE his ears!

It's funny, two weeks ago I wouldn't have thought twice about things like bunny ears. I'm in love! :bunnyhop:

how cute silver, and Calico sometimes a netherland will have longer ears - it is a fault but not necesarrily due to crossing, I have a netherland doe she has good ears but is over the weight limit all her kits were lovely little things though, just the unpredictability of genetics I guess. I have gone out of Nethies but have kept this one black doe as she is a placid girl and easy for new young bucks to first time mate with.<br /><br />__________ 18 Dec 2011, 05:11 __________<br /><br />This is one of my former does she is not unlike your girl I think. But I am no bunny judge iether lol.

Attachments

• ruby.JPG
    ruby.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,004

Latest posts

Back