Nesting Box and Hay??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do I do if momma is not pulling fur to cover babies can I build her a nest out of a mixture of alfalfa and Timothy hay
She'll likely pull fur shortly before giving birth. You should give her the nesting box a couple-three days before she's due. If you want and you have access, you can just cut or pull an armload of tallish grass, let it dry in the sun, and give her that. You can also use straw, but unless you have other animals who need bedding, that's not the most convenient thing to store. She'll hopefully start gathering up the dry grass you give her shortly before she's ready to deliver, but if she doesn't, you can put it into the nest box for her.

Sometimes they mess up and deliver on the wire or they don't pull fur, or maybe they don't make the nest. Just do what you gotta do. She'll prolly figure it out. Mine seem to deliver at night, so you might want to keep an eye out, in case she has any problems getting things sorted.

She'll likely pull fur shortly before giving birth. You should give her the nesting box a couple-three days before she's due. If you want and you have access, you can just cut or pull an armload of tallish grass, let it dry in the sun, and give her that. You can also use straw, but unless you have other animals who need bedding, that's not the most convenient thing to store. She'll hopefully start gathering up the dry grass you give her shortly before she's ready to deliver, but if she doesn't, you can put it into the nest box for her.

Sometimes they mess up and deliver on the wire or they don't pull fur, or maybe they don't make the nest. Just do what you gotta do. She'll prolly figure it out. Mine seem to deliver at night, so you might want to keep an eye out, in case she has any problems getting things
Pick the hay or whatever is "softest", and she may make her own right before she has them. If they are already here you can certainly make her a nest, in the summer hay will be plenty usually. You can also save shed fur from your rabbits in a ziplock for the future, but really moms usually figure it out on their own with subsequent litters.
Thank you so much for replying yes she had them a few days ago she had 5 I’m very new to this I’ve had rabbits before but never had newborn kits they are inside rabbits so any information I can get is greatly appreciated

Pick the hay or whatever is "softest", and she may make her own right before she has them. If they are already here you can certainly make her a nest, in the summer hay will be plenty usually. You can also save shed fur from your rabbits in a ziplock for the future, but really moms usually figure it out on their own with subsequent litters.
Thank you so much I will definitely keep a stash from now just in case lol

Latest posts

Back