Nest box location?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishmick

Reaction score
So I placed a nest box in my doe's (Natalie) cage yesterday. I wasn't really sure where to place it... She poops in the left back mostly but pees in left back, right back, left front.... The least pee area is right back. Beyond changing my cages door swing, bass eq inward swing, I figured I'd try placing the nest box centered between her "areas" in the back of the cage. I've since cleaned the box at least 3 times after she's used it as a toilet. Should I just accept that she'll defecate all over her babies and I'll have to clean it frequently or is there a trick I don't know about?
Thanks,
Ryan

Usually they prefer a back corner remote from the door. How close is she to kindling? Her manners might improve once she gets a nest built. I'd clean the nest box thorouly to remove any urine odor and wait till she is close to kindling before I returned it.

Today is day 29 for her. My last litter, first litter for me, went flawlessly. The doe had a straw mustache the second night, started pulling fur the third (day 30) and had her babies that night/early the next morning. This second doe just goes to the bathroom in it. I'll try as you suggest and clean it well tonight.

She's a contrary rabbit lol so maybe she's just telling me to back off ;) Thanks hoodat.

irishmick":3kgx9hry said:
Today is day 29 for her. My last litter, first litter for me, went flawlessly. The doe had a straw mustache the second night, started pulling fur the third (day 30) and had her babies that night/early the next morning. This second doe just goes to the bathroom in it. I'll try as you suggest and clean it well tonight.

She's a contrary rabbit lol so maybe she's just telling me to back off ;) Thanks hoodat.
Some rabbits are just messy that way. It's usually best not to breed to them. If she messes on the young there is a bigger chance of them getting sick.

Much thanks. The wisdom is appreciated. I'll see how she does this breeding and fc or not.

Latest posts

Back