Nest Box Eye treatment

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLRS

Grace Meadows Farmstead
Reaction score
One of 26 kits has this issue. About a week ago, I used warm water and cotton to open the eye, but it has not been a lasting improvement. In fact, the eye has gotten worse. I bought Terramycin, an anti-biotic ointment for eyes to try clearing it up. I will keep you posted.

Attachments

• 20240328_192917[1].jpg
    20240328_192917[1].jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240328_192947[1].jpg
    20240328_192947[1].jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 0
Today, it looks about the same. When I look even closer, it appears the upper eyelid might be deformed, or has been cut and healed. It has a "v" in it that will permanently irritate the eye. I am not sure if it is genetic or perhaps litter box damage from another kits scratch, or what...but this one cannot be bred. The question is to cull now or wait until it has gained butcher weight.? I cannot tell how much pain there might be, but the little one is growing just as fast as the other litter mates. Opinions?

If he is growing, he is eating and active. If he is eating and active, pain is low. It may look bad, but he is fine.

Pink eye in humans looks bad too, but we know it passes and is not a big deal. I am not saying this is conjunctivitis, I am just pointing out that as a species that relies primarily on vision, we are easily squicked out by eyes. Rabbits rely more heavily on smell and hearing than we do, so they often seem less distressed by eye issues. I would let him make weight as long as he seems to act about like the rest of the kits. If he is constantly huddled in a corner looking cold, with a hunched posture and shivering, then cull immediately. That is pain.

If he is growing, he is eating and active. If he is eating and active, pain is low. It may look bad, but he is fine.

Pink eye in humans looks bad too, but we know it passes and is not a big deal. I am not saying this is conjunctivitis, I am just pointing out that as a species that relies primarily on vision, we are easily squicked out by eyes. Rabbits rely more heavily on smell and hearing than we do, so they often seem less distressed by eye issues. I would let him make weight as long as he seems to act about like the rest of the kits. If he is constantly huddled in a corner looking cold, with a hunched posture and shivering, then cull immediately. That is pain.
I appreciate your wisdom by posting a great answer. Generally what I was thinking, but better.

Latest posts

Back