Nest box eye question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunrise

Reaction score
I have two litters that have just opened their eyes. Seems like about half of them are having problems with their eyes. I haven't had a case of this in the last couple of years. Cage hygiene is good, I always keep the boxes clean and dry, both does have had litters before with no problems, same with the bucks. The only difference with these litters and previous litters is nest box materials. I used to use a layer of pine shavings topped with grass hay. I have since switched to using a layer of paper shavings topped with grass hay. Is it possible the different shavings could be a cause? Maybe something in the hay? Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated. I am treating them now with terramyacin ointment and it's getting better, but I'd really like to figure out what I need to change. Thanks all!

not sure where you are from but if you live in an area where the weather is up and down that plays a role as well.

hygiene plays a role, genetics plays a bigger role,

bedding materials... can't really say. you want clean bedding lacking in the loose dust factor.

Thanks ladysown, our weather has been very up and down, maybe that's a factor too. I guess genetically it could come from the buck or doe?

Does can carry a strain of Pasteurella under their nails and pass it to the kits thru contact with the bedding. It usually manifests as nestbox eye. Treat it, but if it keeps reoccuring, I would cull them. Also, are your nestboxes wooden or metal?

Nest boxes are metal with plywood bottom. Think I found out what might have caused it. I used some new timothy hay in those nest boxes and bermuda grass hay in the others. When I went to use that bale of timothy again last night I found flakes in the middle that were very dusty, very packed together and probably moldy. Normally our grass hay is never moldy so I guess I'm very lucky that I only got sore eyes out of it! (Kits are doing fine now)

Latest posts

Back