Need some advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
I have a siamese/ragdoll mix cat(blayze) that stays in my room. Well yesterday for some odd reason my room was extremely hot so I opened my windows to let it cool down it there. Later that night I noticed blayze just not being himself. He just was laying down not paying no attention to me not even when I called his name. So I knew something has to be wrong when this cat isn't like this. He usually is into everything and always comes when called because he just loves the cuddles. Well I feed him and my other cat but I don't think his ate. He barely is drinking as well. All he wants to do is lay around and sleep. He hasn't used the litter pan at all today either. I put fresh cold water next to him along with some chicken broth. He some times gets up to drink but not enough. I believe he might have heat stroke or whatever its call. What can I do to help him. I've put a cold wash cloth on his back to cool him off if it is indeed what I think. But I don't know what else to do. Right now I don't have no money to take him to the vet or he would have already been there. Please just someone help me help him feel better. Also its only him acting like this. My other cat is his normal playful self. Also if this helps his nose is dry and he seems dehydrated. How can I get my playful lovable cat back.

Attachments

• Sick kitty.jpg
    Sick kitty.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 935
I use care credit for vet bills. http://www.carecredit.com/ you can apply online, by phone, or even at the vets office. I had a senior dog that needed mouth surgery and was panicking because i had no way to pay. So they told me about care credit, they got me approved right there in the office. As long as you pay it off within 6 months there is no interest. I had a male cat go from healthy to very sick quickly. He had stones hardening up in his bladder so he couldn't pee. Unfortunately it ended up killing him. I couldn't get him in soon enough unfortunately. It was a Saturday night i noticed he was ill, nights and Sundays of course the vet was closed . monday morning I took him in right away but it was too late. He died on the surgery table. The vet said bladder stones are somewhat common in neutered male cats that are fed dry food. Since then I try to get my pets in asap. So definitely take your cat in and ask them about care credit for payment.

I wish I knew of something that would help. My cat acted like this for several days after I used Advantage on her for fleas. Never again! But unless you have recently treated him then it would have to be something different.

Please try to get him to the vet as soon as possible. Vets are often not too knowledgeable about rabbits, but they do much better with cats and dogs.

I doubt it is heatstroke, unless he was panting and drooling when you noticed how hot the room was.

To check if he is dehydrated, gently pinch and lift the skin of his neck. It should snap right back into place. If it only slowly returns to normal, he is dehydrated.

I would also check the color of his gums and his capillary response. You can compare the color of them to your healthy cat.

If they are very pale he is anemic. If you press on them and the color doesn't flood back to the spot you pressed, it means he has low blood pressure which could indicate internal injuries and blood loss.

I would suggest taking his temperature. It should be somewhere in the range of 100.5 to 102.5 degrees.

Thanks everyone for your response.

Also I don't know what else it could be then if it isn't that. The only other thing is he cought a wasp that has been coming in the house because nothing else has changed really. He does only eat dry cat food though and he is fixed. But this is so strange though because he just starting acting blah yesterday and then all of today.

I recently lost my 4 yr old male cat to strevite crystals. He acted much like your boy right at first, then when we made it to the litter box he was growling as he tried to pee. Try Care Credit and get him in asap if at all possible. :( I feel for you.

I really don't want nothing to happen to my baby. His my best friend. But right now I have no job and no way of money right now. So I have no idea what I can do to help him. What is strevite crystals?

I hope he pulls through and its just a case of being too hot with no damage. Bladder stones sounds like it though, try to get him to a vet asap though. Even with quick vet care some times it doesn't end well :( My dad had a manx/siamese cross cat, got him to the vet, unblocked, but too much damage had been done and he passed. If that is it and he does pull through, expect to have to feed a different kind of diet (cheap cat food tends to add/promote the problem) to help avoid problems in the future and even then it is no guarantee.

If you took his temperature and checked the other things I suggested, and they are normal, maybe he is just being lazy because the weather suddenly warmed up? If you can cool the room with a fan maybe he will be more comfortable. :)

Since he eats mainly dry food, you might be able to get him to eat if you give him some canned cat food. Get some type of fish flavor because the smellier it is the more he will like it.

preciousgurl63":widctbvf said:
What is strevite crystals?

Struvite crystals are made up of magnesium, phosphate, and ammonium. They form in the urethra and can cause a blockage that wont allow him to pee. They used to be really common before cat food manufacturers changed their formulas to have less magnesium.

Cats that don't drink a lot of water are more at risk for getting them. Many people recommend feeding canned food daily to ensure that they get enough fluids.

They now have a special dry food that makes the cats drink a lot more water. It was by Science Diet. Just try to get him in. Another thing you can try for funding is to put an ad up on craigslist or other forum asking for help. Give them the name and number to your vet, have them pay the vet directly. It might just work for you. Will keep him in my thoughts.

Do check his gums with the capillary refill test like MSD suggested.

Low capillary refill time can indicate internal injury/bleeding or shock, as she said... OR it can also indicate dehydration.

Too fast refill can indicate heat stroke.

If you see delayed capillary refill time, and the skin on the back of his neck does not snap back right after you pull up on it and then let go, I would think the probability of dehydration is high.

You could give him a subcutaneous injection of sterile saline water solution (bolus). The problem is, if he has struvite crystals, adding water to his system might help with the dehydration and cause more of a problem with the crystals.

My mom had a cat with those crystals once, and they were so painful. Before he stopped urinating, did you notice him having any trouble urinating? Crying while trying to urinate, or ending up with urine sprayed or dribbled around, instead of in the litter box?

If not, you might try the bolus... I understand having no money. :( Been there. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:05 am __________ <br /><br />
Cat World > Cat Health > Capillary Refill Time

Capillary Refill Time
What is capillary refill time?

Capillaries are tiny blood vessels are which are close to the surface of the skin. It is the capillaries which give the skin it's pink colour.

Capillary refill time (CRT) is a simple method to determine the amount of blood flow to tissue.

How do I check the capillary refill time on my cat?

The best place to check the capillary refill time is on your cat's gums. To do this, lift up your cat's upper lip and press the flat of your finger against the gum tissue. Remove the pressure and you will see a white mark on the gum where your finger was placed. Using a watch with a second hand, time how long it takes for the pink colour to return to the white spot. In the healthy cat it should take around 1 - 2 seconds to return to pink.

What is the normal capillary refill time in cats?

* 1 - 2 seconds is normal.

* 2 - 4 seconds is moderate to poor.

* More than 4 seconds is an emergency.

* Less than 1 second is an emergency.

Will checking the capillary refill time cause discomfort to my cat?

No.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/capillary-r ... me-in-cats

Also:

http://pets.thenest.com/dehydration-cat ... -7364.html

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/emergen ... ation.html (animal triage)

I would definitely have him checked for a blockage, which is more common in male cats than females. They can go down fast with a blockage, like within a couple of days they can be dead! See if your vet will take payments.

Like the others I highly doubt it was the heat. Cats are originally desert animals, unless your room was over 100 degrees I wouldn't worry. One of the reason cats get killed on the street is because they will sun themselves on the asphalt. My black longhaired cat loves to lay in the sun, his fur gets so hot to the touch it almost burns you and he acts like its nothing.

Thanks everyone again. Just wanted to info everyone that I took him to the vet. They took an xray of his chest and found that he has fluid around his lungs which is way his feeling not so good and not wanting to do anything beside sleep. The vet said it could be a few things from having a heart problem which they will take another xray in the morning once all the fluid is gone to see how his heart is or it could be from being stung by a bee or bite by a spider. They decided to keep him over night give him meds and put him in a cage to help him with his breathing since he was having trouble. I plan on calling in the morning to see how his doing which I hope they have good news and say his doing well. I can let everyone know tomorrow once I find out if you want.

Thanks everyone. Well I have to wait till after 9 to call and find out. Then I will let everyone know

Thanks. Well called the vet this morning to see how he was doing and they said that they ended up taking him out the cage to help him breath easier. They told me to call back at 3 to find out how how his doing without being in the cage. So I waited and called back at 3 to see. They said his doing good and if I wanted to I could come pick him up just as long as I keep up with giving him his meds or I could just let him stay another night. Of course I said I would be right there to get him. So his home right now sleeping on my floor. I have to give him 2 different kinds of meds twice a day to help get the fluid off his chest. They vet wants me to make another appointment next week to get an xray of his chest to see if his getting better or worst. They vet believe that he either got stung by a bee or bite by a spider that caused all of this. Blayze seems to be doing a little better now that his home and comfortable. He hasn't ate anything yet but his definitely drinking now which is really good. I went out today and bought him some can cat food just incase he doesn't want to eat his dry food. Will definitely let everyone know how he improves.

It's possible to syringe-feed cats just like it's possible to syringe-feed rabbits. I have a cat-hydration syringe and have syringe-fed young cats before.

If KittyBoy appears mildly interested in the canned food but is reluctant to exert energy to eat it, mix the canned food with some water so that it will fit into the hydration syringe and gently (and slowly) squeeze it into the back curve of his lips, just outside his molars and inside his cheeks. Feed him however much "real" food equivalent he's interested in; remember that the water is taking up space in his stomach along with the food. I've done this from four times a day on up for ill adolescent kittens/cats.

I'm glad the vet got things sorted out! Poor kitty!

Back