Need help with bunny foot abscess!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hicksb1

Reaction score
Hi, I recently adopted a 2 1/2 year old rabbit named Winston. I have had him for about two months. two days ago, I noticed a growth on the top of his foot. He stays on carpet most of the time and does have a litter box with a screen. Nothing is wrong with the bottom of any of his feet.Winston was taken to the vet last night. The vet squeezed the abscess and extracted the puss she could get out. She gave me Baytril that I am supposed to give him twice a day (1mL). She also told me to try to keep opening it up and cleaning it out as often as possible. I just did this and Winston didn't like it too much. The abscess now has a large, open hole that I am afraid he is going to keep licking, is this okay? I soaked his foot in warm water with epsom salts in it to soften it before I tried to clean it out. Quite a bit of puss came out, including a solid chunk that I had to pull out. Hopefully I did this right...I also put a bit of normal neosporin inside of the abscess to see if that helps at all. What would an abscess that is healing look like? I was given two weeks worth of antibiotics, and I don't know how to tell if it's getting better or not. I don't have much money to spend on vet bills...so taking him last night is probably the extent of what I can spend. I tried to a attach a before and now pic of what his foot looks like! I appreciate any help you guys can give!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-11-06 at 2.00.16 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-11-06 at 2.00.16 PM.png
    477.6 KB · Views: 4,105
  • Screen shot 2013-11-06 at 1.58.19 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-11-06 at 1.58.19 PM.png
    480.4 KB · Views: 4,105
The antibiotics will help the wound heal from the inside out, you must keep the wound open so the puss can drain out and not form an internal abscess again.

It is fine if he licks it as long as you keep it open and prevent the skin from growing over.

Soaking in warm salt water, removing the scab and trying to massage the puss out and soaking again to get the salt to help draw out the infection is the best course if action.
including a solid chunk that I had to pull out
keep doing this, any little bit of puss can re-grow a huge abscess over time.

Unfortunately feet are very boney and it is difficult to completely eradicate infection out if them so please keep an eye on this foot for problems for at least the next 6 months.

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Hicks! :welcomewagon:

Some on here will take a rabbit to a vet, but probably the majority of us do not. So don't worry that you are going to get flamed for not being willing or able to take him to the vet again. That won't happen here. :)

It sounds to me like you are doing very well with the treatment.

The Neosporin will help for now, but in the research I have done for dealing with abscesses (I've had to deal with two), it isn't ideal. I never found out why. I did find one place that specifically said not to use it for this, but rather to get that antibacterial wound packing stuff.

I recommend Nu-Stock for this. You can order it online, or you can get it from a feed store. It's basically sulphur, pine oil, and mineral oil. IT IS MESSY, and it smells like pine oil. I don't mind this. As you continue to use it, you will smell the sulphur a little. It's great stuff, though. It costs less than $15 for a tube. Shake well, outside, wrapped in a rag. Did I mention it's messy?

You would just basically stuff the abscess with the Nu-Stock. Fill it up. Keep doing your soaks and such. Afterward, dry it out as well as you can, and stuff with Nu-Stock again. It may be good to soak gauze with Nu-Stock, and stuff that in there. Nu-Stock advertises (and reviews bear it out) that it heals from the bottom up, which is absolutely critical to not having the thing come back again.

It's probably a lot cheaper than the wound-packing stuff, though you might look into that as well. :)

Another vote here for continuing to warm-soak the abscess, keep it draining, frequent (at least four times/day) checking, and so on. When my (previous) cats were indoor/outdoor cats, I would sometimes find abscesses on them and home-treat for a couple of days to see whether I could make any progress without going to the vet.

It sometimes worked, and it sometimes didn't. But it was all valuable experience. One cat developed an abscess on the back of his skull--similar to a foot in that there's not much play in the skin next to that much bone--and I soaked him and watched that spot like a hawk for many weeks afterwards. Cats' skin heals over very quickly, so frequent soaking and sometimes :( re-opening of the wound was needed.

Your photos show a well-draining, clean area. If it stays like this, you should give yourself some points as a Rabbit Caretaker! :)

Thanks for the input guys! Winston is very dramatic, and I can tell that when I try to clean the abscess it hurts him a lot. However, I could not afford the pain meds on top of the antibiotics...so I am trying to be gentle. Any suggestions how to make it less painful/calm him down (he hyperventilates)? So far the abscess has stayed pretty much open today, Winston does a good job of licking it and keeping it open! I did soak it twice today and puss only came out of it this morning and not the second time.

In terms of the Nu-Stock, or any other packing material, is it a problem if he licks it? I had him neutered three weeks ago (very traumatic) and the wound kept opening up so he ended up in an e-collar...which he chewed to bits, so wearing a cone is not a possibility! Is Nu-Stock an antibiotic, like neosporin? I used the neosporin because it is all I have at the moment, and no feed stores nearby...but I can try to get some in the next few days if it will do the trick!

Thanks for all of the comments! This is the first rabbit I have ever owned, as well as the first abscess to deal with!

I haven't had as much success with bucks as with does, but when treating injuries, clipping nails, or pulling out fur mats, I have found that wrapping the rabbit in a towel, like a baby in swaddling, calms it right down. Sometimes it requires 2 towels, because your aim is to secure the non-injured paws in a "resting" position, but still allow yourself access to the injury. Sitting on a comfy chair and laying the rabbit in your lap on its back helps "trance" it as well. Not sure if it helped reduce pain, but massaging and stroking near the injury seemed to calm my rabbits, and made them less likely to "jump" when I got round to expressing pus. Also, if the pus seems too thick to come out, try using a syringe to squeeze hydrogen peroxide into the wound opening. It softens the pus, plus makes it bubble out of tight spaces. Only use it a day or 2 though, as continued use destroys new skin (learned THAT the hard way).

YES, DLL is so right about the towels!

hicksb1":39z3aumz said:
I could not afford the pain meds on top of the antibiotics
So many of us are right there with you!

If you have any willow, like weeping willow (I think all kinds of willow, but for sure weeping willow), it has natural salicylates in it, especially the bark. Young twigs are often bunny favorites. Salicylates are what aspirin is made from, and if I remember correctly, people used to chew willow bark for pain relief.

You can also get chewable baby aspirin. I've read that you can give up to one baby aspirin twice a day to a rabbit. I have given 1/2 twice a day. Some say you should not give aspirin to rabbits, but I'm not sure why, especially since they can eat willow.

It sounds like you are doing wonderfully well!

hicksb1":39z3aumz said:
In terms of the Nu-Stock, or any other packing material, is it a problem if he licks it?
Nu-Stock usually does not get licked by animals, as they don't care for the taste. However, one doe I put it on (for an abscess) licked it off every single time I applied it for about a week. Then she gave up and accepted that it was going to be there.

I did lose her eventually to gut stasis, because the antibiotic caused her to quit eating. Make sure Winston keeps eating, at least some. I've had a rabbit stop eating for a couple of days because of antibiotics and be fine, so I didn't think anything of it when she stopped eating for longer.

As far as other packing material, well, gauze might be pulled out or chewed on. Then again, if it's soaked with Nu-Stock, he might leave it alone. Unlike my doe. It does say that most animals will not lick it past maybe a test lick.

You can also use betadyne on rabbits, by the way. :)

The reason why you shouldn't use Neosporin is because it encourages the wound to heal over quicker. If it heals before you've gotten all the gunk out then the abscess will most likely return. So just keep the wound open, clean and dry!

The abscess is small, probably a little smaller than a marble, so it is hard for me to see inside. It does look like the back wall of it is still a whitish color (maybe meaning more puss?) I keep trying to get it out, but nothing more will come out. I can tell there is still more in there though...I am afraid to use the hydrogen peroxide because I don't want to hurt him too bad, but will this get it all out? I used a syringe and squirted salt water into it and nothing else has come out. It is staying open pretty well. I don't think it is big enough for me to get anything inside to pack it, but I could squirt the Nu-stock inside.

In terms of keeping the wound dry...I read that maybe I should run a blow dryer on it for a bit to try and dry it out? Would this be helpful? What should I be looking for to indicate that it is healing correctly? Today, the area is not as red and gooey looking, it is a lighter pink

rawfeeder":2abshmx1 said:
The reason why you shouldn't use Neosporin is because it encourages the wound to heal over quicker. If it heals before you've gotten all the gunk out then the abscess will most likely return. So just keep the wound open, clean and dry!
Thank you! Now I know why! :)

hicksb1":2abshmx1 said:
It does look like the back wall of it is still a whitish color (maybe meaning more puss?)
Maybe, but maybe not, especially if it won't come out.

I am afraid to use the hydrogen peroxide because I don't want to hurt him too bad, but will this get it all out?
I wouldn't use peroxide at this point, because it's been too long. You don't want to damage the new tissues. :)

Salt water is fine. Epsom salt soaks are fine. :)

I don't think it is big enough for me to get anything inside to pack it, but I could squirt the Nu-stock inside
You're right, it doesn't sound big enough to be able to pack it very well. I'd squirt it full of Nu-Stock, then when it's time to change it, I'd soak it to soften it, and irrigate with a syringe to get the Nu-Stock out. Then I'd put more in. Sulphur is what they used to use before antibiotics.

In terms of keeping the wound dry...I read that maybe I should run a blow dryer on it for a bit to try and dry it out? Would this be helpful?
I don't know that air from a hair dryer could get in there very well. Can you fit a Q-tip into it, to swab it gently to dry?

If so, you can probably use a Q-tip to press a small strip of gauze into the opening of the abscess. Just as another thing to help it not close up prematurely. If not, the Nu-Stock is supposed to keep that from happening anyway. With such a tight little hole, that is your main concern -- keeping the little thing open while it heals inside.

What should I be looking for to indicate that it is healing correctly? Today, the area is not as red and gooey looking, it is a lighter pink
Red and gooey is inflamed, lighter pink is calm and healing. :) The abscess should get slowly shallower, until finally it is pretty much skin-level, and it will be covered with skin, and will grow fur again.

I found a feed store that sells the Nu-Stock, I am going to stop by tomorrow! I'll pass on the peroxide and stick with the epsom salts. I cannot fit a Q-tip inside, I think I will have to rely on the Nu-Stock once I purchase it. Here is an updated picture, it looks much better!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-11-07 at 3.03.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-11-07 at 3.03.05 PM.png
    467.1 KB · Views: 4,038
That looks a LOT better! You are obviously doing all the right things.

*fingers crossed for continued healing*

YES! That is looking good! :hooray:

Be sure to get a small syringe to use with the Nu-Stock. I can't think of any other way you're going to get the stuff in there.

If it weren't for the fact that it is an abscess, especially with so small a hole, I wouldn't encourage you so hard to buy the Nu-Stock. I just don't see how you'd keep the thing from closing without it.

The vet gave me oral antibiotics in tiny syringes so luckily I have a bunch to use for the Nu-Stock! I think it will be a good investment, looks like I can use it for a variety of ailments and who knows if he will get another abscess in the future. Every few hours I get a washcloth with hot water and epsom salts and hold it on the abscess and it opens right back up. Hopefully the Nu-stock is able to heal it the rest of the way. I know its tiny...but something so tiny could turn into a big problem I'm sure!

hicksb1":3ni488pq said:
The vet gave me oral antibiotics in tiny syringes so luckily I have a bunch to use for the Nu-Stock!
Perfect! :p

I think it will be a good investment, looks like I can use it for a variety of ailments and who knows if he will get another abscess in the future.
Yes, the stuff is good for all sorts of things. I actually used it on myself for ringworm a couple of months ago. The medicines for the stuff... one I reacted to, another I was going to have to use for 6 - 8 weeks, and hope it worked. I think I applied the Nu-Stock three times? Lots of people have used it for various skin conditions.

It doesn't ever seem to lose its effectiveness, either. Someone wrote of finding a tube in a barn on a property they had bought. It was still in a paper bag with a receipt dated 25 years earlier. The stuff worked as good as new.

So yes, it's a good investment. One of those bunny first aid kit things. :)

Every few hours I get a washcloth with hot water and epsom salts and hold it on the abscess and it opens right back up.
You are doing an awesome job! :)

I think Nu-Stock is 2 times or 3 times a day, so you may be able to cut back your soaks to that.

I know its tiny...but something so tiny could turn into a big problem I'm sure!
Yes, it can, and you are right to take it seriously, even though it is so small!

Back