Necropsy On GI Stasis Sufferer(odd question)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Okay, so I lost one of my kits to bloat/stasis, and did a necropsy.

She looked inside like I expected, bloated, lots of liquid/air in the gut, however, I also noticed that her intestines weren't crawling... Normally when I butcher a healthy rabbit for consumption, the guts are still visibly active and moving after death. Hers weren't moving at all.

Has anyone else ever noticed this in a necropsy? I mean, I know it doesn't help me figure out the cause, and it makes sense because the name of what she died for is "GI Stasis" which kind of implies no gut motility. But I've never noticed it before and am wondering if it was because she was so little, or because she had stasis.

I've never noticed gut movement because I usually just rip them out and toss. However I've noticed I don't wear any protection when I do open up a diseased rabbit. I think I'll start wearing gloves and a face mask. Don't want to catching any bugs myself considering some my be harmful to human

Did you have to dispatch the rabbit, Bad Habit, or did it die on its own? If the latter, then lack of gut movement might have been due to the time factor.

I've never seen gut movement in a rabbit I have butchered and very seldom muscle movement either. I think by the time we get them bled out and skinned, they are finished with all that.

I culled the kit.

I dunno, I've still seen the guts crawling 20-30 mins after the rabbit has been butchered. Maybe I am just crazy if no one else has seen this.

Now I kinda wanna cull a healthy rabbit and video it to show what I am talking about.

Back