Naming my rabbits and need help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lereg15

Reaction score
Hey guys. As some of you know, I started raising NZW's. I have named four so far, two bucks and two does. My bucks name are Hase and Pfeffer, and my two does are Marguerite and Grace. I'm sure you can figure out my bucks names, but my does may need a little explaining. Marguerite (Clark), the first Snow White from 1912 Broadway show, opening day, and Grace (Slick), from Jefferson Airplane, sang White Rabbit. Now my problem is that I'm running out of ideas for my other two does. I'd like to have a reason for them being called what they are called, having something with the white in the breed, and any suggestions will help me immensely!! Maybe I can see who the other Snow White on Broadway were for the other two, but I'd love to see what you all can come up with. Thanks for your input, as always.

I have to work tonight, but I will be back in around 9-9:30 to see your responses!!

Maybe I can call one of them Alby, for albino?

Oh, was there any reason why you named your buns what you did?

:lol: If "Grace" would have worked for my one "White Rabbit", we would each have one. Instead, I just named him "Jefferson".
In keeping with the music theme, I went with Steely Dan for my does, "Aja" and "Josie".
My buck, "Bink" was the first one to binkie for me, once they got settled in.
Then there's, "The Dude"... Mr. laid back. Just like The Big Labowski... The Dude abides. :cool:

Justine, female version of Justin, in tribute to Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues who wrote the song Nights in white satin.

The kids and I name the rabbits based on whim and the traits we perceive.
Some names we've used:

Bucks:
Lyric, Frett, Xerxes, Spaz, Mouse, Tattle, Sushi, Keiran, Dust Bunneh, Sigurd, Tarrant.

Does:
Mucky, Esper, Nymphe, Persephone, Pancake, Dovetuft, Heather, Feather, Inanna, Fuzzy Love, Speckle, Luna Fox, Umbra.

I kind of love the randomness.

DBA":2nq0hl0n said:
Justine, female version of Justin, in tribute to Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues who wrote the song Nights in white satin.
I like that DBA!!! The Moody Blues never came to mind for some reason. This could be a winner!! <br /><br /> __________ Wed May 13, 2015 8:57 pm __________ <br /><br />
karebru":2nq0hl0n said:
:lol: If "Grace" would have worked for my one "White Rabbit", we would each have one. Instead, I just named him "Jefferson".
In keeping with the music theme, I went with Steely Dan for my does, "Aja" and "Josie".
My buck, "Bink" was the first one to binkie for me, once they got settled in.
Then there's, "The Dude"... Mr. laid back. Just like The Big Labowski... The Dude abides. :cool:
Steely Dan are one of my favorites!! I don't watch movies due to my feelings for hypocritical actors and actresses, so I don't know about the movie one.

Zass":2nq0hl0n said:
The kids and I name the rabbits based on whim and the traits we perceive.
Some names we've used:

Bucks:
Lyric, Frett, Xerxes, Spaz, Mouse, Tattle, Sushi, Keiran, Dust Bunneh, Sigurd, Tarrant.

Does:
Mucky, Esper, Nymphe, Persephone, Pancake, Dovetuft, Heather, Feather, Inanna, Fuzzy Love, Speckle, Luna Fox, Umbra.

I kind of love the randomness.
Nice, but where'd Sushi come from? I'd never have thought of that for a bunny. :)

lereg15":8z7zpd7a said:
Nice, but where'd Sushi come from? I'd never have thought of that for a bunny. :)

Mucky is actually "Temaki"
as in:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Temaki-Sushi

Because my daughter thought that the broken black pattern looked like white rice and dark nori.

We all call her Mucky for short (or Muck-Mucks, or whatever other silly and affectionate thing pops into our heads when we address her. :roll: )

I guess my son wasn't feeling too creative when he named Mucky's son "Sushi" after her.

The first song with "white" that crept up from the dephts of my childhood memorys was that 80's song "White Bird" from the TV series "Knight Rider" :cool: :shock:

http://www.teamknightrider.com/classic/ ... ebird.html

Some names there, of the character (Stevie, Stephanie Mason), the actress (Catherine Hickland), or the artist singing that song (Pattie Santos of the "It’s a Beautiful Day" (Band))

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%E2%80%9 ... %28Band%29

If it's a nice doe, I would go with Pattie :D, since Patti Smith did a cover of "White Rabbit", as did Emiliana Torrini, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, and lots of others, many names there too.

I have a hard time naming my Rabbits too, avoid it to not get too attached (anxiety of loosing anything is rooted deep in me), but I couldn't help that one doe now goes by Black Fury (she knows what she wants...), inoffical "Ute" (after an aunt of me, who sure was a hippie long after 68 and somewhat engaged in womens rights), the other one just the Grey, inofficial "Magda" (reminds me of a plump, not too bright, but dutiful farmers daughter...)
The buck is simply "Dicker", means kind of fatso, but it's just his NZ heritage that makes him quite stocky.

Preitler

Alice - who followed the white rabbit down to Wonderland

Carroll - for Lewis Carroll the author of Alice in Wonderland

Trinity and Niobe - from the Matrix films which also refer to a white rabbit

Zass":1plxuoc7 said:
lereg15":1plxuoc7 said:

Mucky is actually "Temaki"
as in:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Temaki-Sushi

Because my daughter thought that the broken black pattern looked like white rice and dark nori.

We all call her Mucky for short (or Muck-Mucks, or whatever other silly and affectionate thing pops into our heads when we address her. :roll: )

I guess my son wasn't feeling too creative when he named Mucky's son "Sushi" after her.

Ahh, I see. I'm not much of a sushi eater.

Thanks for all your replies!!

Preitler":1g8zk54k said:
The first song with "white" that crept up from the dephts of my childhood memorys was that 80's song "White Bird" from the TV series "Knight Rider" :cool: :shock:

I know the Knight Rider!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: <br /><br /> __________ Thu May 14, 2015 11:44 am __________ <br /><br /> My grandmother named one of our rex bucks Romeo, because he is such a love! :p

My girl Squeak was a very loud baby, and Thumper thumped if he didn't have a nightlight.

Our other rex buck Figwit was named after a unnamed Elf in "The Lord of the Rings" movies. The female fan base noticed an extremely handsome Elf sitting next to Elrond in the Council, ad they dubbed him "Figwit" -- "Frodo Is Great-Who Is That???!!!". The director saw his popularity, and gave him a role in the third movie which gave him two lines. :lol: Silly name, so our silly boy got it. :p

We had Pharaoh, so he had to have a Nefertiti.

Yuki we lost, and replaced her with Niyuki. Yuki is snow in Japanese, and Ni-yuki is two-snow, or second snow. We didn't even try to get the proper translation. Sorry, Akane. :oops:

Wave is a sallander with a wave pattern on her hips.

Marshmallow is sweet and extremely nervous, and he got named partly because he's soft, and partly after the snow monster in "Frozen". Not that he's mean in the slightest.

Aslan is a lionhead troubleseeker, named after the lion in "The Chronicles of Narnia".

Pinto is a wry-neck goose of a rabbit who is a broken...I don't know, well, he's got spots, and Bunny-Wan named him Pinto after the spotty bean. We don't call him that much, anymore. Mostly we call him Bumfy. :lol:

lereg15":2phlu2jz said:

I had a white angora goat named Albumen (Alby for short) because when she was born she looked like she was covered in egg yolk. The white part of the egg is called the Albumen.

That same year I had a doe have a black doeling and a white doeling. My sense of humor has no "political correctness filter" so I named them Oprah and Ellen. :p

MamaSheepdog":3vgjf605 said:
lereg15":3vgjf605 said:

I had a white angora goat named Albumen (Alby for short) because when she was born she looked like she was covered in egg yolk. The white part of the egg is called the Albumen.

That same year I had a doe have a black doeling and a white doeling. My sense of humor has no "political correctness filter" so I named them Oprah and Ellen. :p

That is absolutely hilarious!! Was the black one calling the other names? :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back