My mini rex lost a toe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kabrogden

Reaction score
2 nights ago we had dogs (not ours) come into the yard barking, scratching and trying to get after my daughter's bunny. I guess now that his foot got caught in the wire and he skint the skin off. His toe looks pretty rough. He has what maybe a nail coming up from underneath the paw turning up and slightly some done towards the top of the paw. I've been putting betadine on it 2 times a day but he's licking it off. He's still eating and moving around but sometimes tends to hold up the front paw. He's very calm and let's me look at it and do whatever to it, but I know he has to be in pain.

Should I try to clip the "nail" coming from underneath?
Should I wrap it so the betadine stays on and to prevent from possible infection?

Help!!!!!

This is what it first looked like.... <br /><br /> -- Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:50 am -- <br /><br /> Now it's black...

Attachments

• 20150905_114205.jpg
    20150905_114205.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 445
  • 20150905_114205.jpg
    20150905_114205.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 445
What sort of flooring is he on? Urine caked wire bars are going to sting and catch the damaged tissue causing him to lick it more often. I'd give him a litter box and put him on solid flooring or a thick layer of hay or straw over a wire floor.

I would not snip anything - if the toes are de-gloved then dabbing with betadine and letting it dry out and break off on its own is likely best. Keep an eye out for fly eggs and maggots invading the wound

Thank you Dood! He is on a wire flooring. He has a litter box filled with hay. I also have him a box in there with hay and till he is better, a large piece of cardboard covering most of the floor. He uses a corner for the bathroom so there is no urine or feces on the wire except in that corner. His toe has turned black now, you can't see the bone anymore, and the little piece of "something" coming from underneath is starting to dry up now. Any ideas why the toe is black?

It's died and is drying out - next it will become brittle and where it meets live bone it will eventually snap off and possibly bleed a bit so you'll need to keep a close eye on it for quite a while

Back