My harlequins! (dial up beware!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quintex

Reaction score
Since I just joined I thought I'd share some photos of my harlequins. There are 2 photos of each. You can critique if you'd like, though this was my first time posing them ever so I'm lacking in posing skills.

bunny01.jpg

bunny02.jpg

bunny03.jpg

bunny04.jpg

bunny05.jpg

bunny06.jpg

bunny07.jpg

bunny08.jpg

bunny09.jpg

bunny10.jpg

That's all :)!

since most points are on markings. I would need to see top and frontal pix. and behind the ear pix too.

love the face on number three - just something about that one that I really like.

I don't think any of them are showable... but see how they grow out. Look overall to be nice rabbits. :) Have fun with them eh? :)

I think they're all showable, the only one with winning potential is the second one, the blue. I can see the two chocolates making nice breeding stock.

Gosh I miss my Harlies.

Thank you for all your nice comments! I will try to get some better photos later of all sides. I didn't really think any would be show rabbits except for the 2nd lilac, his breeder said that while he could be shown he won't be too competitive and especially not in a well marked class.

MaggieJ - I'm not sure if these guys are anymore fluffly than other harlies since they are my first rabbits :cool:. Maybe I accidentally floofed them up a bit as I was quickly posing them and then trying to grab my camera before they hopped away.

Ladysown - I didn't get my hopes set too high on them being show rabbits, but I am definitely already having a lot of fun with them!

Tomcatrabbitry - The first one is def chocolate but are you thinking the 3rd is also chocolate? She is supposed to be lilac but maybe I did too much editing in photoshop?

And for those of you with show/registration experience -- to register a harlequin does it also need to be correctly marked? And for pedigree purposes, what age should they be weighed at to put on pedigrees as their recorded weight?

Those are some great pictures of beautiful Magpies! :)

To register a Harlie, it has to be free from any disqualifications (like if you were to show it). They would have to be seniors when you take them to the registrar, so six months or older.

Best of luck with your new group!

Lauren

when I look at the pics

you have a chocolate, a dark blue or black, a light chocolate, then a lilac, and then a I think blue...

Is that what they are supposed to be? lighting can do weird things at times.

it's funny what people will call show rabbits. I had one rabbit here that a breeder told me would be a show rabbit and said...yeah right...too heavily marked to be a show rabbit. Sold it, the judge agreed with me. :) BUT I've seen other rabbits shown with no face split but with the rest of the body being excellent. So it's a bit of a toss up at times. :)

Number two show-wise.. is the best of the lot.

just looking at their bodies... I like one and four the best, for markings... number five catches my eye. But the face on number three would make it hard to say no too. :)

For breeding I'd breed the heaviest marked with the lightest marked and hope to get something more mid-range. always keep the ones that have the cleanest markings to reduce the amount of brindling that you get.

matters not when push comes to shove...just enjoy them. They are overall the nicest breed of rabbit I've raised when it comes to solidity of temperament..

Awesome, thanks for the advice I won't soon forget it! I've been reading the forum like crazy for info and I've also read Storey's book on raising rabbits. What is considered brindling in harlequins? Heavier marked with thin areas of white?

They are supposed to be Chocolate buck, blue doe, lilac doe, lilac buck, blue doe.

number one rabbit has brindling...see how the chocolate and the white mix together? you want to try to avoid that in show rabbits. Does not regarding their edibility. :) But for show markings you want them to be as clean and crisp as they can be.

I'd breed one to five and see what you get from that mix. keep the cleanest marked one back for future breeding. and four to two.

It's hard with the lilac/chocolate. Sometimes chocolates can be so light...but often their faces will be darker so I'd be inclined more to go with facial colour to help determine if it's a lighter than should be chocolate or if's a lilac. Lilac always have a bit of a purple look to them. and number four has more of the purple look to him.

So the brindling makes their overall coloring look mixed/smutty?

The chocolate has a sorta-split face with the other side being darker chocolate (can kind of tell in his head shot).

The lilacs breeder said the buck was just a darker lilac. To me, one looks more chocolate-y and the other looks more blue-y. Though my rabbit experience is limited to about, oh, 3 weeks :).

And this may be a dumb question, I've googled the heck out of it, but are the black mags a dominant/recessive trait? Do they need a black parent? For some reason I have it in my head that to get a black one of their parents needs to be black, but in the blues' pedigrees (they're littermates) that is not the case.

quintex":3ru0k99u said:
Thank you for all your nice comments! I will try to get some better photos later of all sides. I didn't really think any would be show rabbits except for the 2nd lilac, his breeder said that while he could be shown he won't be too competitive and especially not in a well marked class.

MaggieJ - I'm not sure if these guys are anymore fluffly than other harlies since they are my first rabbits :cool:. Maybe I accidentally floofed them up a bit as I was quickly posing them and then trying to grab my camera before they hopped away.

Ladysown - I didn't get my hopes set too high on them being show rabbits, but I am definitely already having a lot of fun with them!

Tomcatrabbitry - The first one is def chocolate but are you thinking the 3rd is also chocolate? She is supposed to be lilac but maybe I did too much editing in photoshop?

And for those of you with show/registration experience -- to register a harlequin does it also need to be correctly marked? And for pedigree purposes, what age should they be weighed at to put on pedigrees as their recorded weight?

to REG they mustn't have any DQ and they have to be SR weight.

I am shocked to see so little breed info on the parent club site!

this is our old site
http://tailwaggingk9s.tripod.com/

ladysown":11gjih1x said:
to get black you need black. :)

Let me think about this... :idea:

Chocolate is bbD_ A double recessive for black (which produces the chocolate) but dominant for non-dilute

Blue is B_dd Dominant for black but with a double dilute which washes the colour down to blue.

So choc x blue could produce BbDd which would be black :D

Well that's a relief since the parents were choc x blue! Thanks! Guess it means I won't need to buy a black in the future!

And I assume their SR weight needs to go on their pedigree, so any weight after 6mo would be acceptable?

say what?

you can get black from chocolate?

weird...I thought blue was the dilute of black.... and Chocolate is different than black... so I don't get it.

Not saying I don't believe you or anything...you know way more than I do...but I just don't get it.

I can see getting blues and chocolates...but black? how can you get black if it's not even in the picture??? totally confused....

ladysown":9nvvd0t4 said:
say what?

you can get black from chocolate?

weird...I thought blue was the dilute of black.... and Chocolate is different than black... so I don't get it.

Not saying I don't believe you or anything...you know way more than I do...but I just don't get it.

I can see getting blues and chocolates...but black? how can you get black if it's not even in the picture??? totally confused....

Ok, I really have to use the letters here. :D

To determine if the rabbit is black, chocolate, blue or lilac we are talking about the combination of 2 genes (ie: 4 slots) both B and D working together.

"B" is the black - chocolate gene. Black can be BB or Bb since it is the dominant option. Chocolate is what you get when the rabbit has both "B" recessives - bb.

"D" is the non-dilute - dilute gene. Non-dilute would be DD or Dd and in harlequins, it would be either Black or Chocolate depending on what is in the "B" slot. Dilute would be dd and would be either Blue or Lilac depending on what is in the "B" slot.

Blue is the dilute of black. You are correct. That means that there is at least one B and two dd since it is the "D" gene that handles the dilution factor. I think you are confusing the terms "dilute" and "recessive". Blue is NOT the recessive form of the "B" gene. It is produced by a dominant "B" PLUS the dilute factor.

So a blue rabbit does indeed have black genes. A blue rabbit has a black gene PLUS a dilution gene.

A chocolate rabbit does not have black, but it does have the non-dilution gene.

Latest posts

Back