My first kits are here need advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alch0my

Reaction score
Oh my god ..I am so excited! My blue otter doe, Sky had babies. She kept jumping in the nest box whenever I got near it, but I was finally able to get to it. One was dead and she has six live ones. I think that's a big litter for a holland lop. This is her first litter and she's protective ..good sign right? She pulled so much fur ..I couldn't believe it. Fur is everywhere lol. The were all the way in the back of the nest box, so I moved them up a little and moved some of the fur. I think she fed them but not sure ..they weren't all excited when she got in the box with them. Can anyone give me some advice? Was I right to move them up a little? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Do not pull them forward, put them back where they were!
Don't bother mom or she will kill them with her erratic jumping into the nest, especially now that you put them in a dangerous area.
If it's hot where you are, remove the excess fur.
Then leave them be, check on them tomorrow, feed her to distract her and then take a peak. Full kits will be round.

I agree, move them back where they were, does can squish a wee baby jumping into the nest!!!!

However...CONGRATS ON THE POPPLES!!! That IS a big litter for such a wee bunny! :D Awesome!!!!

I ran upstairs to move them back and mama already did it for me lol. They are all doing fine for now. She's a protective mama. She recovered them with fur to. She seems particular about how she wants her nest lol. I feel like a giddy school girl:) So I should leave them alone till tomorrow? Does the milk come in right away or dies it take a little while? The babies bellies looked round versuse the dead kits belly being flat and wrinkly.

If they look like they swallowed marbles, they've been fed. :) It can take 24, sometimes even up to 48 hours for milk to come in, though.

As long as there is not a LOT of fur in there, you can probably leave it until tomorrow, since you've already gone through the nest and cleaned it today.

With the heat, excess fur could cause them to overheat. Generally, the babies will come to the top of the fur if they are getting too warm. If they are too hot, they'll start spreading out all over the nest to try to cool off, which you don't want when they are newborns.

:congratulations:

All my rabbits are inside my house. She did pull alot of fur! I see her go in the nest box with them so I'm almost sure she is wanting to feed them. Will they be ok if her milk takes 48 hours to come in?

Inside your house, they should be fine, though you can remove excess fur to save for future use. :)

It can get dicey for them if it takes 48 hours for the milk to come in, but it is very unlikely that that will happen. Try not to worry... I really have not heard of that happening very much at all.

Latest posts

Back