Must be a baby thing-kits peeing and poo'ing in the food

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireclaws bunnbutts

Reaction score
Seriously ;) Kits must like pee/poo flavored food or something :lol: Because every litter I've had, the babies will literally soak the food in the food bowl with pee sometimes, then they still try to eat it :popcorn: I clean it out, obviously, but seriously lol.

I came home last night and their poor mom was waiting at the cage door like she always does when she's out of food and I went to check and the bowl was full, but the food was soaked with pee and the babies were all looking pleased as peach with themselves, while their mom was like "wtf?"

Good thing they're cute :mrgreen:

Hahahaha the same happens with my kits too! They just like peeing and pooing on and in everything I guess :x :lol:

Yeah, thats what they do. Mine squeeze into the hay rack, climp to the top, pee and poop and trample all the food. They don't seem comfortable to nibble on something they are not sitting on...

How tall are your feed crocks? I found with a shallow pie plate that the kits tended to stay out of it better. They could all reach easily and fanned out around the perimeter. It cut the problem by at least 50%.

I use these really low lying bowls with my kits...they are meant for guinea pigs but much to light for THAT. :) I find they are perfectly sized that if a kit chooses to sit in the bowl their butt end hangs off the side so any pooping/peeing that might happen ends up outside the bowl. :)

Smaller bowls that are low-lying work best for baby bunnies, particularly if they have slightly sloping sides. More smaller ones being better than one bigger one. :)

That also benefits the less dominant ones of the litter... giving them either like minded siblings to eat with or giving them an option to get away and still eat without being pushed around. :)

We use small ceramic bowls for Dollar Tree for $1. They are in the dog/cat supplies. The sides are 1-1/2 high and 5" round. They work great. The kits can eat the food without jumping in the bowl.

Bowl-small_resize.jpg

jimmywalt":3k2pugil said:
We use small ceramic bowls for Dollar Tree for $1. They are in the dog/cat supplies. The sides are 1-1/2 high and 5" round. They work great. The kits can eat the food without jumping in the bowl.

That's what mine are, little plastic dog bowls that are about 5-6' round and only about an inch tall, the babies can reach the food without hopping inside, because they do, but they still choose to sit inside it :lol: Only one at a time can fit though.

My first kits litter trained themselves by going in the food trays AFTER they had eaten all the food. :angel: Such angels.
I agree if they are small enough trays, they won’t go potty in them. ;P

Easy Ears":3chvl2ep said:
My first kits litter trained themselves by going in the food trays AFTER they had eaten all the food. :angel: Such angels.
Oh my goodness... lucky!! :wr_crying: :wr_wall:

Petlover500":346xl9ox said:
Easy Ears":346xl9ox said:
Oh my goodness... lucky!! :wr_crying: :wr_wall:

:lol:

:rotfl: :laugh2:
Oh lord this cracked me up :lol:
Yeah, I have the same problems with mine.
(Except mine will potty in the food, and then refuse it)

I usually have kits in pens with J feeders, and never notice pee beneath that spot, but they will often sit in the feeder and poop!

Back