Muscovy drake attacked me

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
This is a drake - a year old next month - that was hatched by me. All of his flock mates have been taken by raccoons over the last few months (NOT at my place, they were all at 4H instead) but I take the time to talk to him every time I go out there and he fluffs his feathers and mumbles at me, looking happy to see me.

I did this yesterday, then stood up to go into the chicken house while he walked away behind me.

Then he hit the back of my leg with a right whollop, snagging a claw in my jeans. :shock:

I snatched him up and held him for a bit then tossed him down (gently) and off he ambled.

Is this normal behavior for a Muscovy? Never having had them before I dont know much about them, behavior wise, but if he goes for one of the kids he is crispy duck so would like to know if we have to expect it. In fact, he will go now, despite being a favorite, if this is normal Muscovy drake behavior.

He needs more 'Scovy ladies. Muscovy drakes can get pretty testy if they're not given something to do. It's getting pretty close to the breeding season too.

Ducks in general (yes I know Muscovy are not true ducks but are still social) should not be kept alone, because it can cause behavior problems.

My muscovy drakes act more like male geese and can be meanie pants when hormonal. I ate the last one that attacked me.

I second needing a lady duck. Sometimes poultry can get confused and think they can... erm... court humans too. I've seen both roosters and drakes basically do the birdy equivalent of "humping your leg" which is what it sounds like he was possibly trying to do... >> (both are pretty hard on the ladies during mating so mis-translates to aggressive behavior pretty understandably)

I did wonder if he had "misread" just WHAT I am, esp as I went down to his level to say hello. Guess I am some pretty duck lady!

No idea what to do about girl ducks, they are costly in our area. :roll:

I would not get him a girl friend or 2 or 10 :(

Every Muscovy drake I've ever owned has tried to rape anything that moved in the barnyard including males and other species (they drowned several turkeys in the pond :evil: ) They had to be locked up and only used for breeding

I only kept the males for 6 years then switched to Cayugas and Swedish Blues which have MUCH nicer temperaments

Dood":1b0z5vbq said:

Every Muscovy drake I've ever owned has tried to rape anything that moved in the barnyard including males and other species (they drowned several turkeys in the pond :evil: ) They had to be locked up and only used for breeding

I only kept the males for 6 years then switched to Cayugas and Swedish Blues which have MUCH nicer temperaments

I have just Cayugas rn :) they are truly nice temperament. The right mixture of "skittish" and friendly. I know their auto feeder has run low if I enter the pen and my clothes get instantly nibbled on by the ducks. :roll: I had peking for a while but they kept dying due to stupid (they were too friendly and not enough skittish). Either they drowned themselves just getting a drink (I literally saw one do this and had to hold it upside down by its feet and shake it until it regained consciousness - I am talking a small waterer with 3 inches of water... it dunked its head in there... then suddenly panicked and then collapsed... as I held it up just tons of water poured out of its beak and nostrils just :| seriously.) or they walked right up to the dog pen with the dog barking at them.... one by one until they all died :|

Sali":fkxrg0f5 said:
I have just Cayugas rn :) they are truly nice temperament. The right mixture of "skittish" and friendly. I know their auto feeder has run low if I enter the pen and my clothes get instantly nibbled on by the ducks. :roll: I had peking for a while but they kept dying due to stupid (they were too friendly and not enough skittish). Either they drowned themselves just getting a drink (I literally saw one do this and had to hold it upside down by its feet and shake it until it regained consciousness - I am talking a small waterer with 3 inches of water... it dunked its head in there... then suddenly panicked and then collapsed... as I held it up just tons of water poured out of its beak and nostrils just :| seriously.) or they walked right up to the dog pen with the dog barking at them.... one by one until they all died :|

Those ducks sound just like the typical city dwelling American ..... human.

Dood":117nve54 said:

Ducks in general are very rapey anyway xD. Fun fact. Female ducks have a cork-screw shaped...whaddayacall, vagina? That's probably not the right word xD. Male ducks have a cork-screw shaped penis which naturally spirals in the opposite direction of the females lady parts o3o. So male ducks literally "rape" the females every time they mate, because their anatomy does not allow for naturally cooperating copulation lol.

Female and male birds (and reptiles) have one "hole" for everything (unlike female mammals which have 3 and males which have 2) and it's called a cloaca

The "penis" of most waterfowl is an normally internal, inverted sac that is filled with lymph fluid to expand and is rather limp compared to mammals but once they line themselves up it sort of explodes into the partners cloaca so "rape" is a very appropriate word to describe the act :(

It is so crazy to me to read about muscovies that attack people!

I have a drake going on 3 years old and 5 hens. He has never shown any inkling of aggression to any other creature, except his own babies (especially the teenage boys.) He has become DEFENSIVE of his girls when the rooster or dog harassed them, but he simply chased them away. He's placid, lazy, shy and wonderful to watch.

I have to wonder if it has to do with hand-rearing. Most complaints of aggressive Muscovy drakes that I have read all came from people who either incubated their eggs in an incubator, or bought day-old ducklings and had the ducks used to handling Mine are all duck-raised with no handling from humans at all. They are afraid of us if we chase them. (They have all learned that we pose no threat walking right by them if we are not looking at them, so they are not afraid to be close to us - just won't allow touching.) They will come to us for food, as long as we put it on the ground.

The ONLY incident of aggression toward us by a muscovy was a female with her ducklings. We have 2 females that are too scared to come at us if we grab their babies, opting to huddle in a corner instead. But one female is like a mama bear. You so much as walk toward her babies and she charges with intent to harm. She's a great mama. Without babies, she's just as shy as the others.

Hand raised ducklings do tend to be a bit bolder. They see you as another duck.

My 'scovies were all momma raised and I never had an issue with any of them being aggressive, except towards our roosters :lol:

I wish I'd got this on camera but one day, one of my little banty roosters decided to pick a fight with Squeaks, our big muscovy drake, I think that little rooster instantly regretted his decision, as soon as the roo jumped up to spur the drake in the chest, the drake lunged forward, grabbed that poor rooster by his neck feathers, pulled him down onto the ground and flogged the crap out of him with his wings. Poor rooster was walking in zig-zags for a while :p

LPH_NY":mgmni3ql said:
It is so crazy to me to read about muscovies that attack people!

I have a drake going on 3 years old and 5 hens. He has never shown any inkling of aggression to any other creature, except his own babies (especially the teenage boys.) He has become DEFENSIVE of his girls when the rooster or dog harassed them, but he simply chased them away. He's placid, lazy, shy and wonderful to watch.

I have to wonder if it has to do with hand-rearing. Most complaints of aggressive Muscovy drakes that I have read all came from people who either incubated their eggs in an incubator, or bought day-old ducklings and had the ducks used to handling Mine are all duck-raised with no handling from humans at all. They are afraid of us if we chase them. (They have all learned that we pose no threat walking right by them if we are not looking at them, so they are not afraid to be close to us - just won't allow touching.) They will come to us for food, as long as we put it on the ground.

The ONLY incident of aggression toward us by a muscovy was a female with her ducklings. We have 2 females that are too scared to come at us if we grab their babies, opting to huddle in a corner instead. But one female is like a mama bear. You so much as walk toward her babies and she charges with intent to harm. She's a great mama. Without babies, she's just as shy as the others.

That is a good point, the roosters we have had that were the MOST respectful of us were both broody hen raised so the hand raised drake is a bit, well, confused.

He seemingly has attacked two other people so he has to go. Sadly for me a family with a pond is taking him so I dont get to eat him. :roll: :lol:

Back