Muffin Tin+Loose Minerals=Right Sized Mini Blocks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
So I got tired of trying to keep the rabbits from dumping the pans of loose minerals and breaking off chunks of the blocks was tiresome and lost 60% of it. Plus from horse experience, there's not really enough minerals in the blocks...its vastly salt...works but made me wonder if they really get enough when I know in horses its so salty they can't really lick enough to get what they really need.

I took an old muffin pan, has 12 places for muffins, loose minerals, and enough water to make it like dough like. Put it in the tin places, baked on low heat (250 F) for 2 hours and let cool. Then popped them out. Nice rounded mini blocks and the rabbits like them. I figured I'd do this with others and treats to make mini blocks with other things added in, maybe even offer them for sale at some point. It is does take a while and can be a bit messy, but I had nothing to loose.

Considering how many mini blocks I've gotten already, and haven't even used a half a bag, it makes me wonder if the square horse blocks are measured by volume dry or wet weight and all. I didn't think I'd get but a few dozen out of the bag, but I'm up to 6 dozen o.o

Will add pictures of next finished round, trying to get the tops smoothed and even so they look better than with fork prints in them lol. :bunnyhop:

Are the nutrients stable up to 250F? Anything water soluble would probably be gone but that's not usually what you are looking for in a mineral mix. Fat soluble vitamins are often in mineral blocks because they break down quickly in hay and may not be found much in a grain mix so large livestock not getting pellets benefit from it.

Heat and light both break vitamins down. I would be inclined to use a much lower temp to dry the cake out.

Back