Moving with rabbits...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
So I've been muddling for a while and still a few loose ends to tie up, but then moving 5 hours away from current location. Still in same state just norward to panhandle. Couple questions for those that have moved...

Is it easier to pack rabbits like for a show in carriers vs leaving in cages and hauling in an enclose trailer?

I'm going to have to rent, what are some good ways to approach possible houses? I've found a handful that were promising, but when you mention show rabbits and they ask number, the conversation ends there. I've had 2 places out of over a hundred I've emailed actually be "okay" but were out of budget.

I've already checked zoning laws and regulations, but are there any other legal issues I may have trouble with? I do cross state line to get to new area, but vet certificate, etc has never been an issue before.

What is the best way to stop a dog from alert barking? Currently my 2 dogs are watch dogs, some one comes they bark. This is not plausible or remotely tolerable behavior where I'm going to end up, so how do I curb their barking or am I just at a loss? I wouldn't want to leave them behind or rehome them. I've tried negative reinforcement-scolding, pennies in a can, all things that would work with normal house breaking issues. They've never been smacked or corrected in that manner. They are both submissive, but one is normal energy level (boxer/wrott) and other is extremely high (aussie).

What is the best way to have zero smell or site in an area besides a building? What to do with the manure that comes from the drop pans?

Any other possible issues or things I may want to watch/ask for is a good thing to add as well. This will be my first moving adventure to boot. I'd prefer not to be forced to sell completely out, but if my loose ends get tied with leaving just the rabbits an issue, I'll have to sell out to move. Job and personal betterment make it a must change, and I'm really excited about it so it isn't like I'm wishing I'd never got a new job or its only because I was kicked out home type deal.

For a quick fix, a shock collar or anti-bark collar works wonders. It's a lazy cop out but they are effective. You may not have the time to put into proper anti-bark control at this moment, but in the future a stop bark word is easily taught. Such as "enough", our two have been taught that since the beginning. But on the other hand some breeds are just more talky. So it would depend on the situation.

As for the rabbits I have no clue. We might have to move in the near future. I was planing on move cage and all at one time. Just filling the bed of my truck with them and making multiple trips if need be. But I only have 4 breeding does and 2 breeding bucks. So not such a huge task as of now.

Best of luck,
Cathy

They do have a stop command, but I'm talking about warning barks (no body's home and they bark at x person coming into drive way or we're inside and alert to person coming in without us knowing). If all goes well, I will be moving to a place with frequent come and go people, there fore, they cannot bark at any one just passing through the area as if they are "intruding". I can get and use some anti-bark collars, never tried one before. I do know the one will not cross electric fencing (have that to keep lot secure) but the other because of coat, can't feel it. SO will have to get one with longer pins or trim for contact.

I'll have a UHAUL rented, way too many to move with truck and will be on interstate most of the way so open air is not an option to haul in. Just was unsure if was safer carrier vs cage or vis versa since it will be a 5 or so hour drive (depending on traffic) one way to get there and then additional time to get them set back up.

Thank you!

Depending on the temp at the time of move, more or less air maybe needed. Cooped up in a small cage will lower the chance of possible injury. (From rabbit darting around) But could lead to air flow issues and over heating. It's a tough call.

Again best of luck,
Cathy

I've been to shows at a distance greater than5 hours, I'd opt for show carriers, just in case, for safety sake.
For barking, maybe one of those anti barking things you hang outside, or in the general area?

I'm planning to move myself. My plan is to put the buns in stacked show carriers. They'd be hard pressed breaking their necks and even better, they fit inside the air conditioned vehicle that way. I'm not a huge fan of sticking live animals inside of Uhauls, especially when last I checked none of them are air conditioned inside. It's stressful enough without adding no air circulation for 5 hours during what is about to become spring (it gets REALLY hot in those things).

Bunny berries aren't very smelly as long as they stay dry. Just gather them regularly and either use the precious resource to improve the garden or sell them at farm swaps or gardening centers. There are people who would be delighted to haul that stuff away for you, you just need to find them.

I'd be careful with bark collars. You trained them to be watchful. People expect some barking with dogs, if one starts to act excessive AFTER the move (I'd bet they get used to the comings and goings and will over time learn when something is "off" and needs barked at). Try to get a collar that can be set to LET them bark a bit before gently telling them enough. You don't want to break them of barking entirely because then what sort of job do they have anymore? What if the living situation changes down the road and you need them to alert again? They wont because they're afraid of being shocked for the smallest of yips. Some dogs won't bark again for the rest of their lives after being trained to those things, even if you remove it.

If it's an apartment then it may be too much barking for the neighbors. There are so many sounds in an apartment that drive an alert watch dog nuts. Takes time for them to figure out what is worrisome and what isn't. I had an old Labrador that I moved into an apartment after I found a burglar sitting on my sofa. She barked all night while I was at work so I ended up using a bark collar. That did work for a short time but then she learned to shake it to the side so it no longer triggered. Clever and devious girl! After that she had to come to work with me. If it's a house then you are in way better shape.

Occasional barking does not seem to bother anyone unless it's happening at 3am. The next dogs I had were Redbone Coonhounds. Yes brilliant choice for a corner lot, near a park, in the city. One of my finer moments. They had to use bark collars as they would set each other off and soon it would be a 3 hour long barkfest that the neighbors enjoyed very much. It worked for those two.

Now in general I dislike shock collars but to control barking you kind of have to be there :(

Unless I have no choice, it isn't going to be a box apartment. I couldn't stand that myself. Ideally will find a small house with neighbors but not so much I can reach out and touch them. The area however, is not exactly known for that. Isn't impossible, just hard.

Good points on the Uhaul and carriers, think that will be the way to go unless some thing alters. Seems safer. I never really noticed a smell, but I know considering how fickle humans can be I figured no smell better than any rabbit smell.

I'll have to take a closer look at the anti barks, my sister had plots and hunted coons, grandpa had various hounds....but only my sister used a trash breaker to try to get the plots attention/discourage chasing deer, needless to say it didn't work. Course that's a big difference in a way. I'd like to find some thing that has the permit so much noise but not a choir chorus, I don't want to come home to a note on the door or a call from the cops about the "abused" dogs o.o

Thank you all for the good ideas :)

imajpm":3nspktdn said:
The next dogs I had were Redbone Coonhounds. Yes brilliant choice for a corner lot, near a park, in the city. One of my finer moments.

Oh! This about made me spit coffee on the computer. I have blueticks so yeah. Love them but they are LOUD!

I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time...

Latest posts

Back