Mother rabbit virsus snake.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice vid. Never would have thought a rabbit would take on a snake, pretty cool. By the end of the video the snake reminded me of a dog just playing with a toy.

Looking at how fast that rabbits feet were kicking that snake I "almost" felt sorry for the snake. Those knives hurt especially when slicing that fast!

Wow! Excellent video!!

Just a reminder of how much our mamma buns trust us (well, most of them). Look at what they could do to us, if they wanted to!

Preitler":1rzojy07 said:
What kind of rabbit is this?
Looks like a cottontail (American wild rabbit).

Stephanie":1rzojy07 said:
Black serpent posts on his FB page, "Yo! Dudes! NEVER eat at this restaurant! I'll never go back there! The servers are the absolute rudest! I made sure not to leave a tip, either!"
:rotfl:

I don't think adult rabbits are very common snake fare. :?
Seems to me like snakes rarely ever hunt anything that is equipped to cause them harm.

Newborn bunnies however, are probably perfect snake food from a snake's perspective.
I'm not at all surprised that adult rabbits have found ways to fend them off.
I imagine they had to.

So it's:
Hide from predators they can't fight.
Run if they are sniffed out or spotted, and maybe intentionally lure predators away from babies.
And...beat the daylights out of predators that eat kits but not adults. :lol:

Someone was telling me about that video at work and I told them it probably wasn't a wild rabbit (athough it certainly does look like a common cottontail). I never would have thought that a prey animal would fight to the point of risking their life to protect the young. Of course, you see birds swooping in the hit people in the head and dive bombing the neighborhood cat but I don't think many of them are killed in that "attack", so I suppose they're not really risking their life. Seems like prey animals would just abandon ship and go make more babies. Also, I've never seen a wild rabbit make a nest in a manicured lawn right next to a house. That just ain't normal cottontail behavior, so maybe it's someone's pet. Either way, it's impressive! And having been kicked and scratched like that myself, I'm sure that snake ain't coming back for another attempt!

Rabbitdog":1apfc2m9 said:
Also, I've never seen a wild rabbit make a nest in a manicured lawn right next to a house. That just ain't normal cottontail behavior, so maybe it's someone's pet.
Domesticated rabbits make tunnels for their kits. Cottontails make nests on top of the ground just like this one. :)

I've never seen a wild rabbit make a nest in a manicured lawn right next to a house. That just ain't normal cottontail behavior,

Around here, lawns are mowed very carefully in springtime, since it's so common for cottontails to make nests there.

Rabbitdog":1aqolrrw said:
Of course, you see birds swooping in the hit people in the head and dive bombing the neighborhood cat but I don't think many of them are killed in that "attack", so I suppose they're not really risking their life.
You reminded me of a cat I had the pleasure of adoring when I was a young girl. She was a tri-pod after losing a front paw in a farm accident. She still ruled the farm and would be seen gallumping her way across the yard, busy in pursuit of some catlike business. From time to time the sparrows would target her, dive-bombing and chirping in her ear as they flew by. She' d try to ignore them, knowing they were taunting her, pausing occasionally when her feline indignation was too much to handle. That would just spur the birds on. They'd get lower and lower, louder and louder as they mocked her while she gimped along, until eventually some unfortunate bird would gleefully dive down--while at the same time she'd rear up, twist around and paste it to the ground with her good paw, then rip it's head off. (She was a fierce hunter both pre- and post- paw loss.) The yard would be silent while Tinker muched on the bird, giving all living things, bird or mammal, her trademark, "don't :rant: with me!" look. And they wouldn't, until the following summer when the next generation of birds would come along and decide to mess with the "harmless " amputee cat.

Zass":1mciivrf said:
I've never seen a wild rabbit make a nest in a manicured lawn right next to a house. That just ain't normal cottontail behavior,

Around here, lawns are mowed very carefully in springtime, since it's so common for cottontails to make nests there.

Just had someone contact me the other week about a cotton tail who made the nest in the lawn close to the fence line.

Latest posts

Back