mix own feed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opie7441

Reaction score
We have a local feedstore that will custom mix feed for a great price if bought in bulk. I've been buying pelleted feed, I was wondering if i bought feed custom mixed what I should have them put into it. IE, oats, boss, ect. So the rabbits will get everything they need. Any advice would be great! Thank you!

6 parts oats, 1 part wheat, 1 part barley. 1 part sorghum grain if you can get it. Get whole grains if you can, crimped if you can't get whole. If your buns will eat alfalfa pellets (mine won't), and you prefer that instead of hay, you can also put 4 parts alfalfa pellets into the mix. You should be good to go with that mix. The BOSS is needed only in cold weather, so it's best to add that yourself when it's needed. Hopefully they know to use feed grains and not seed (which is usually treated with pesticides that could harm the buns).

Make sure each cage has a salt/mineral block, since they're not getting it in their feed. I get the 4-lb blocks labeled for goats. Those are a LOT less expen$ive than the itty-bitty rabbit disks.

That's great that you have a feed store that will mix it for you. I've always had to mix my own.

trinityoaks":22i6bo5n said:
That's great that you have a feed store that will mix it for you. I've always had to mix my own.

Me too... you know how it is a big no-no to get your wife an appliance for her birthday or Christmas? Well, I dream of having an "industrial appliance" for mixing animal feed and compost ingredients... I want my very own cement mixer! :p

So far Hubs has not granted my wish... maybe he doesn't know how he would wrap it. I'll have to tell him a big bow would be just fine!

I would add shredded beet pulp to that mix also.
mammasheepdog. You can get a compost bin that turns like a cement mixer . I thought about buying it. It is plastic up on a metal frame.you can get it at costco. But i didnt want to spend the price on it. I think i will next year as my rabbit will increase. Right now i am using a large pail . I am starting to fill it up to often . I have allot of my own babies that i am keeping back this year. So next year. I will need it for sure.
Also surghum is extremely expensive and hard to find.

Thanks for the tip, Mary Ann... but, lazy me, I mix such heavy things that I wanted something motorized!

Well, until Hubs gets you the cement mixer (truck, I'm assuming)... there is an attachment for power drills that will mix small batches of cement or paint in buckets... you could steal...I mean borrow...your husband's power drill....

LOL!! We got someone to weld us a paddle for our drill, to mix cream in a pail to make butter. Maybe someone in your area can make one?

Frecs":2gtg005j said:
Well, until Hubs gets you the cement mixer (truck, I'm assuming)...

:rotfl:

I was thinking of the small stand alone type, but a truck would be better! Now... :hmm: ... if I ask for a truck, do you think he will break down and buy me the smaller home-owner type? :twisted:

there is an attachment for power drills that will mix small batches of cement or paint in buckets...

Excellent idea! We have one of those!

you could steal...I mean borrow...your husband's power drill....

I'll have you know that I am not some "girly-girl", and I have my own power drill! It's a Dewalt, too! :mrgreen:

MamaSheepdog":1hqmcknv said:
Frecs":1hqmcknv said:
Well, until Hubs gets you the cement mixer (truck, I'm assuming)...

:rotfl:

I was thinking of the small stand alone type, but a truck would be better! Now... :hmm: ... if I ask for a truck, do you think he will break down and buy me the smaller home-owner type? :twisted:

there is an attachment for power drills that will mix small batches of cement or paint in buckets...

Excellent idea! We have one of those!

you could steal...I mean borrow...your husband's power drill....

I'll have you know that I am not some "girly-girl", and I have my own power drill! It's a Dewalt, too! :mrgreen:

I bet it isn't even pink... :lol: Nothing drives me more INSANE than to have some MAN offer me a tool/gun/whatever that is PINK :evil: ....srsly? :shock:

OneAcreFarm":8cspsez6 said:
I bet it isn't even pink... :lol:

Nope! Heavy-equipment-yellow!

OneAcreFarm":8cspsez6 said:
Nothing drives me more INSANE than to have some MAN offer me a tool/gun/whatever that is PINK :evil: ....srsly? :shock:

LOL... I guess I better return that pink .22 rifle I got you for your birthday... but, but... it's CAMO!

Actually, pink is my fave color. Whenever I go camping with the Scouts, I always have flashlights, etc. in either pink or purple. That way, I'm pretty sure I'll get it back if someone borrows it. :p:

MamaSheepdog":3paul7dr said:
OneAcreFarm":3paul7dr said:
I bet it isn't even pink... :lol:

Nope! Heavy-equipment-yellow!

OneAcreFarm":3paul7dr said:
Nothing drives me more INSANE than to have some MAN offer me a tool/gun/whatever that is PINK :evil: ....srsly? :shock:

LOL... I guess I better return that pink .22 rifle I got you for your birthday... but, but... it's CAMO!

*sniff* that might be acceptable...since it is camo... :mrgreen: I just get so irate when I go to gunshops and they call me some cutesy name like "little lady" and show me all the itty bitty guns....I WANNA SEE THE BIG GUNS!!!! My dream gun is a Colt Defender .45...

colt defender.png

NOT pink... :mrgreen:

Ya'll are funny...and no intention of suggesting ya'll didn't own your own power tools!

Speaking of pink... :pinkbunny:

My boss lady was telling us just yesterday that her husband (former Special Ops DUDE :gun: ) is all into...of all things...Hello Kitty! Says he carries his lunch to work in a Hello Kitty lunchbox and wants a Hello Kitty tattoo on his ankle. She said she thinks he is daring someone to say something about it! Such a macho DUDE...who has and will go all SpecOps :gun: if he thinks his family or home is being messed with...doing the whole Hello Kitty thing. Hysterical. I think being a daddy of three girls has gotten to him. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Back