missing or sparse fur on the head?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarayTala

Reaction score
One of my does has very thin furring on her head. This is definitely a new development, I thought I noticed a little thinning about a week ago and started watching her closely, and it's gotten worse. I can't tell if her fur is falling out, if she's pulling it, if the buck next to her is pulling it through the wire, or what. Honestly, it looks like when a person begins to go bald :x Now this doe is one of my three that is potentially bred, so I'm really worried if it's caused by a disease, that it can worsen with the stress of kits, or could have been passed on to my buck. The balding is on the front of her face, from just above the nose, to between the ears, but there is still fur there, you can just definitely see too much skin. I looked to see if I could locate any mites or fleas and didn't see anything, but I wouldn't really be positive what I'm looking for. I also am very nervous after the episode with my colony getting pastuerella and needing to cull them. She developed this symptom over a month afterwards, and I don't recall ever reading about pastuerella causing balding, but could it? If not, what could it be??? She is otherwise in good condition as far as I can tell. Please help me figure out what the problem is???

Make sure she's not rubbing the hair off trying to get her head into the feeder to get those last few morsels of food.

grumpy.

I had this happen when I had a rash of wet dewlap in my herd this summer. Wet dewlap is the same fungus as athletes foot, and it can spread from rabbit to rabbit by human touch, and can cause ringworm in people with compromised immune systems. My niece got ringworm on her arm that summer from touching an infected rabbit. I sprayed the affected area twice a day with apple cider vinegar,and it went away. Spray everything they come in contact with as well.

If the skin is flaky it's probably mites, if it's not I'd say it's her neighbour and would suggest a divider between those cages.

Latest posts

Back