Mini Rex Pose HELP

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwinds Rabbitry

Reaction score
So I am fairly new to breeding been breeding pb pedigreed stuff for about 2 years now owned rabbits almost all my life.
I saw joybells post and i tought it was a great idea anywy I am hving a hard time with what to look for in psed rabbits i see long shoulders etc and fur type but determining what is good and bad really.
So i have posted a few pics of some of my rabbits can you mini rex experts tell me wht you think.
All pics are different rabbits:)
These are a few pics I will get an updated pic of my main herd sire aswell and a few others.
I really need to better these mini rex especially in my area
(I seem to have no end to long shoulders how can fix/stop it? I am not near any mini rex breeders)

Thanks so much in advance :D !!!

Attachments

• Cisco Posed.jpg
    Cisco Posed.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 728
  • Carmen Pose.jpg
    Carmen Pose.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 728
  • Boot It Pose.jpg
    Boot It Pose.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 728
  • KK Pose.jpg
    KK Pose.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 728
  • BeFunky_Ace Pose.jpg.jpg
    BeFunky_Ace Pose.jpg.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 724
ears look long. The broken black buck catches my eye though. Is his fur even???

I am NOT an expert on mini rex, at least for showing. :)

All the ears are under 3 1/2 inches but in proportion with the body I could see that.
The brk black buck I am selling as I dont like the look of him or his body style and his fur is not a plush vevety type it has (maybe long guard hairs or something) cause its not a normal rex type

You have a shoulder issue with them all, long and lower than I prefer. If the ears are under standard then they all lack depth as ears should balance with body.

You have the same problems i had starting up Bad shoulders and long ears. You want them to look like a basketball whenposed up. Yours are egg shaped like some of mine. A simple way to measure ears is fold them down on the face if they go past the nose to long if not there good. Thats why i liked my blue doe so much her shoulders and ears are much better then my main brood doe who is pet quality. Hope you understand what im trying to say.

Yes lol I have a HUGE problem with shoulders !!!!!! And yes good body aswell:/.
But im not near any mini rex breeders and I love the breed and dont know how to fix it.
Thanks so much for the input and help!:) <br /><br /> __________ Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:29 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here ks the same sr otter doe pic taken today and she looks so much different than the other pic???
I think this pic shows more her real type:/?

Attachments

• 20140205_120303.jpg
    20140205_120303.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 690
As one who struggled with long low shoulders, there is no real fix, except bringing in other lines. Long and should shoulders are a dominant trait.

It looks like the broken one has the shortest shoulders of all of them. It is possible to get the fur back, if you were to breed him to the second shortest shouldered animal, but for the most part, you need new blood.

I am guessing its my buck who is passing all this on :/
Thnaks so much for the help
I will definitely be looking for more/better stuff!:)

Your otter slopes over the rear, its flat. The broken buck had the best body but his fur was yuk. If you want my dead honest opinion, if you are looking to have top quality show animals, I would get rid of every one and start over. Minirex competition is incredibly stiff no matter where in the country you are. Why waste time and money feeding something second best?

There are numerous rabbit transport groups on facebook. If you ask around you can find transport to and from almost anywhere. Especially if you attend shows. I would contact some of the top breeders and buy new stock. Dont be afraid to ask questions and get picky. Top quality any breed are pricey. I know a man in my area that sells his mini rex, for the most part 150 and UP, and he gets it, because he wins.

I also wanted to say I admire your willingness to lay it out for criticism like that. Some people would be offended by certain responses. That exhibits your desire to better your rabbitry and yourself. :D

Is that the otter buck or doe? Most of these are for sale anyway as pets only.
I have found over the years of diong this that yes my mr and not that great and I was trying to better them my self but obviously no lol I need very strict criticism as I need to learn and so what will make the best!:) I am slightly sad but hey always time to start fresh!:)
I am looking for better breeders in the us that I could buy of of as I really need better stuff.
I do not attend shows as ther are none in my area maybe 7+ hrs away.
I really appreciate you (lonelyfarmgirl)and everyone else's help input and info I have learned sooooo much these past few days and I know now what to look for etc.
I think that the black otter doe is the best I have right now:/.
I think I will hold on mini rex right now just because im quite a ways away and not having much luck selling these ones but I think summer or late spring I hope to be up and running with excellent mr quality!!:)
Thanks so much for your help once again and yes why have 2nd best!!:)

Latest posts

Back