meat prices and percentages.......

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm_bunnyloft

Reaction score
Is the average dressed weight of a rabbit 50% or 70%?

And at what age do most people process NZ?

How much do they usually weigh at butcher time?

How much do you sell them for processed?

I know the laws for processing in my area. I must sell the animal live and the provide the processing as a free service. So just curious on the above things. This information will help me to establish a reasonable and fair price for my processed rabbits in the future. Thanks.

I believe fryers are usually processed at 5 lbs live weight, with a dress out weight of 3 lbs ideally. Rabbit meat is going for $6 a lb here in Alberta.

It's sometimes determined by the breed. I have read that silver fox have the highest dress out weight, at 65%. NZ's run close.

Wish I had price info for you, I have not heard or read of anyone selling rabbit meat around here. Not really a market for it.

On craigslist a guy is selling for $7 live $10 processed. I am 2.5 hours east of him so I am hoping to not have to compete with him. And the next meat breeder is 2.5 hours east of me yet. But I only ever see her advertise meat pens. I am thinking I am far enough I shouldn't have to compete to much with them. At first I am only going to produce what my family would use if I can't sell it. And see how it goes from there. I also plan to keep any nice enough for show to either sell or show myself. My kids want to show as well so it will be a fun family thing.
And there are no Harli breeders around. Most of these people up here only breed mutts. which, what ever works for them.

Depends on the breed to some extent. 50% would be a bit low and 70% a bit high. So split the difference.

If fed pellets, anywhere between 8 weeks and 12 weeks. Usually it is weight that determines when to butcher. On natural feed, mine take about 14-16 weeks, but it costs less to feed them overall.

Most people butcher at 5 pounds live weight, or thereabouts.

Like you, I only sell live rabbits and process as a favour. I used to sell them for $10 but now I would not sell them for less than $15. When you can find rabbits in the grocery stores, they run about $24 here and weigh about 3 pounds dressed.
I rarely bother to sell rabbits anymore. I have a small rabbitry and I'd rather use the meat for our own table. People seem to think they should get it for next to nothing.

MaggieJ":30ry9hve said:
Depends on the breed to some extent. 50% would be a bit low and 70% a bit high. So split the difference.

If fed pellets, anywhere between 8 weeks and 12 weeks. Usually it is weight that determines when to butcher. On natural feed, mine take about 14-16 weeks, but it costs less to feed them overall.

Most people butcher at 5 pounds live weight, or thereabouts.

Like you, I only sell live rabbits and process as a favour. I used to sell them for $10 but now I would not sell them for less than $15. When you can find rabbits in the grocery stores, they run about $24 here and weigh about 3 pounds dressed.
I rarely bother to sell rabbits anymore. I have a small rabbitry and I'd rather use the meat for our own table. People seem to think they should get it for next to nothing.

Thank you very much for the info.... :)

I have been selling my fryers for $15ea. live and $10ea. dressed as "pet" food. I know there are a couple people in the area that sell them for $15ea. dressed. I live in Oregon

Back