Marking Kits??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
I've seen people mention this a few times, but give me tips on how to 'mark' kits in a litter who all look the same?

One of my litters (Sprinkles' babies) has 5 white kits and I can't tell them apart. Well, one of them is HUGE, but other than that, I can't tell them apart. :p

They turned a week old yesterday, how do I tell them apart?? What is the best way to mark them?

I'm not sure why you feel you need to tell them apart at this stage. Often people need to mark a kit they have fostered from a different litter so that they can keep accurate pedigree records.

I have used food colouring in the coarse fur of the hind feet. It seems to last there longer than elsewhere where it might be groomed off the kit by mom. An idea that just came to me is the possibility of bingo markers. They come in lots of different colours and would dab on neatly. But please check to make sure they are non-toxic before trying this.

I do sharpie in the ear. Someone mentioned that theirs didn't last long, but I haven't had any issues... I know I have some that has been on for 4 weeks at this point (I numbered them as I weighed them at 4 weeks).

Unless circumstances necessitate moving one, there's no need to mark
a kit until its time to do so. I.E. weaning and keeping track of the kit in
a group of similar colored/marked kits.

IF one must be marked....place a "dot" tattoo in one ear and call it good.
A small perforation in the end of one ear with a needle, and ink rubbed into
it will last the life of the animal...

However, it will be faint and will fade with age, but still be slightly noticeable.

Grumpy

Following as well.
Being newbies we have been marking at 4 week weigh in so we can track stats.
We tried following individuals earlier but using Sharpie didn't last on them in the nest, but at four weeks it seems to be pretty long lasting!

Thanks all! I want I'd the kits because I need to post individual pictures listing them for sale. I'm not holding my breath, but I may already have the entire litter of purebred mini lops sold and I have a few people fighting over River's blue tort kit. :roll:

I need to push them hard though, because I have so many kits right now. I'll want to move them as fast as I can. Pet buyers want to see their kits as they grow.

I have a surgical sharpie I use. My husband, and I came up with the plan once our buns are old enough to breed. Does, are evens, Bucks are odds. Just write a small number in the ear. Then weigh each week, write it down like, #2: 2 weeks, then how much they weighted. Do the same for the bucks.

I too like to track the rabbits while they're young. I want to know how that skinny one, friendly one, fat one or what have you progresses through the weeks. I use a sharpie and reevaluate weekly or biweekly before the marker wears off. I will retrace the marking as needed.

HOWsMom":7kiv0lia said:
Becca":7kiv0lia said:
I have a surgical sharpie I use.

What's the difference between a normal sharpie and a surgical sharpie ?

It takes FOREVER for it to come off, lol. It's the sharpie they use when they draw on you to show where incisions will be made, and it doesn't wash off when they're sterilizing you, and washing the area down.

I like the idea of the surgical sharpie pen! I just bought three of them on Ebay ('Industrial' Sharpie - for commercial and lab use - hopefully the same thing).

Thanks! :)

Sali":2n30e58d said:
http://www.amazon.com/Element-Tattoo-Supply-Available-Different/dp/B007O0F8SI/ref=sr_1_6?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1436922074&sr=1-6&keywords=surgical+marker are these the pens I am looking for? :lol:

Cute ;)
They look right, but now I'm not convinced that I ordered the correct ones!! :x

Back