Mamma with 2 week old klts-big open sore

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autumnarcher

Reaction score
I was working in the barn today,rearranging and cleaning, and watching the little ones running around the cage. I noticed after mamma had run over on of the kits a little smear on its back that looked like blood. We got to looking, and the kit was fine, so I pulled mamma out, and she has a big open sore on her hind end, alongside her vagina in the crease of her leg. It doesnt appear infected at this point, but not sure what I should do with it. we wiped her clean, she had some dried blood and was a little dirty underneath. She also has a smaller one right at the base and slightly off to the side of her vagina. Her toenails were pretty long, so we trimmmed those. Im not sure if she did this pulling hair for the kits, or if she cut herself scratching with her toenails. The kits are a little over 2 weeks old and doing fine, but Im worried about her getting infection and havingto put her down. I just got her and this is her first litter with us, 2nd total. So far shes been a great momma and is one of my favorite breeding does. Shes so friendly9 until I try to pick her up, she doesn like that.

Should I put some anti-biotic ointment like neosporin on it, or let her deal with it herself?
I really dont see where there is a lot of options with it.

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back