Making Progress...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
We are getting closer to our meat goals!

One is to actually try rabbit meat :lol:
Well, that and I took our first four to the processor today, picking up tomorrow. I'm not quite ready to do it myself but these will be for our freezer.
Question: I am getting the meat fresh, not frozen-- it will have 24 hours or so in their fridge. Is it ready to use right away? Is that enough rest?

The other bit of progress is that we know folks who just opened a store to sell local meat... And we've been invited to both leave our info as their rabbit person for people and put some meat in their freezers to sell. I think it will be at no cost to start and see how it goes for both of us.

Now I just need to touch base with our local dog sledding company (one of the biggest in North America) and talk to them about meat (I already offered them culls as a donation should it be a situation where I need to pass on a carcass).

It's exciting :) my only complaint is that when we left the rabbits at the meat place, all the people dropping off poultry were like "awww bunnies! So cute! How can you leave them?" *in front of my 10 year old Really, people?!

I'm new at all of this too, but I believe you have to process the rabbits in a certain way to be able to sell them for food. Grumpy has a video on here, somewhere, that shows you how to do it, so you may want to look into it. I would imagine your processor will do it right, but you may want to do it yourself eventually.

As for the rest, other people with more experience will chime in I'm sure!!

Good luck to you!!!

http://www.keithfosterphotography.com/V ... -TBhXBVC/A

Grumpy's video is excellent.
I have watched it several times trying to work up my nerve LOL

In Ontario we cannot sell meat unless it is processed at a licensed facility.
The law goes as far as not feeding guests at home from anything we have done ourselves!
So we're lucky there is a facility just an hour away.

Oh. I didn't notice you were in Canada. It seems a bit harsh to not be able to butcher something for a dinner guest though.

I need to start cutting back on my herd soon, but at the moment, I have no room to put the meat. We bought a small freezer to put them in, but it seems to be full at the moment. Also, as easy as Grumpy makes it look, I'm sure it will be a little more difficult for the first few. Maybe I'll try it next week?

Good luck!
I'm actually giving friends a couple of the ones we are picking up today because I don't have our freezer ready. I'm afraid the load will be too much for the breakers where it is located so need to wait until hubby gets home (long haul trucker).
But I'm going to try and cook one this weekend!

I actually asked on our local Facebook group for someone to let me see them butcher but no takers.
My backup is my funeral director friend who knows anatomy and did dissections if rabbits at school LOL

I have been doing my own for a couple of years..as long as you are set up with all your tools, cooling bucket, gut bucket, and a mop bucket...it goes pretty smoothly. It is not difficult but it does take practice. .After the first dozen or so you will be a pro. I had grumpys video on the laptop for my first 4 or 5. :p good luck..and there is quite a feeling of confidence and accomplishment that comes with doing your own processing. :D
I have 9 bucks to do this weekend..then 9 does in the following week, as soon as I can get the first round in the freezer..

Thanks for the supply list!
I want to learn... I will :)

I gave a friend one of the rabbits and she roasted it right away... smelled like chicken... tastes like chicken! :lol:

Latest posts

Back